What is this noise he is making?

StelleKitten

Songster
9 Years
Jun 27, 2012
Granbury, Tx
My rooster started making this noise today. I was in the chicken coop with the hens and he was on yard roam (I allow the roos to roam but not the hens as much, we have huge hawks and I wouldn't mind the loss of the roo as much). He was making that noise and just within 15 or so minutes my barred rock hen laid her first egg. No one sang an egg song but she did sit in my lap and talk to me all about her new egg.

My roosters make that sound sometimes, too. When one rooster starts, the others often join in, and they will go on for a couple of minutes like your rooster did. I haven't been able to identify exactly what they are trying to say. It seems like a warning sound, but it is different from the "I see a bird" warning sound. It will be interesting to read what other responses you get, because I am curious, too.

He went on for almost thirty minutes. It is the strangest noise. It isn't the growl I get when he is mad or his insane 'I have a tasty' noise he makes.

Wow a half hour is a long time, and you still couldn't figure out what he was trying to say.

I was hoping other folks would reply. I know someone else with roosters must have heard this sound. I have had a few roosters who have made this noise.

Trilling. My girls do it, too. They do it when they're really content - like right when they're getting on the roost. If they do it while outside, it's usually a "warning". Many times I'll hear another bird or noise in the background when they begin it outside. The girls will all get real still like they're waiting or watching for something.

There seem to be variations on the chicken and rooster trilling sounds dependent on the situation. In the video, the rooster seems to be making a warning, but it is still different than the typical bird warning sound.

I wonder what he was warning against. I've been out there lots of times and that's the only time he's done that particular noise. He was looking right at me, so was he warning me of something or warning something else of me? Strange boy that one is.

Back
Top Bottom