What is this??

jenanneray

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
Franklinton, NC
What is this chicken? It does not crow or lay an egg, but I saw it mount two hens today. I have no idea exactly how old this bird is, but has to be fairly young because there's no spurs, only small bumps, and that's assuming this chicken is male.

Now if I could figure out how to post pics, that would be great, lol.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/id/4912190 (hope this works...)

It's the red and white chicken on the album. Please forgive the other random pictures, my phone thought those would be nice to add.

I don't think it's a cockerel. I don't see any pointed hackle or saddle feathers, and from the looks of it, it's plenty old enough to have them if it was a male. It looks like a Red Sexlink hen to me. Some hens will mount others if they are higher in the pecking order. Several of my girls do that. Also, spurs don't indicate gender. Lots of hens get them too. So, she may be old and that could be why you haven't gotten any eggs.

Last edited:
In the first pic, those are new saddle feathers coming in. Your young man looks just like a meatie cross young man of mine. If you have other roos, he might not crow for the moment

Whoops.. I didn't see that first picture. That's what I get for being in a hurry.
roll.png
So. I withdraw my initial statement of it being a RSL pullet. I now agree with ramirezfarming that he's a mixed/meatie cross.. and a cockerel.

I think it looks like someone bred red sex-links to each other, in other words a second generation rsl. And a cockeral.

Back
Top Bottom