What is wrong with my girl and what can I do about it?

MrsNoName

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 2, 2015
My 4 year old black Australorp, Polly, has suddenly turned really nasty. Her whole behavior is off. She is clucking constantly where she has generally been quite a quiet girl. She is frequently fluffing every feather on her body to stand on end, like hackles on a dog - see attached pic. It's not very clear but it might help.
IMG_20180521_091820208.jpg
She does this when we come close but also just walking around. Most concerning is that she is attacking our two Buff Orpingtons, drawing blood and even pecking off tips of their combs. I had noticed the comb pecking from black spots on the combs previously. Then I noticed one of the girls had a peak of her comb missing. Then I saw Polly violently attack the other, holding on to the comb and drawing blood before I could separate them.
Things have changed in the hen house. We lost our Omega end of Dec when an egg broke inside of her. Then we lost our Alpha. She just didn't come home one day so we think a coyote got her. About 3 weeks ago we lost our oldest girl who had taken over as Alpha when she got sick and died while we were out of the country. This put Polly at the top of the pecking order. She is 4, the other 2 are 18 months old.
I thought Polly was maybe getting broody as she spent all day yesterday on the nest before the attack situation but she was out and about all day today so I am doubting that theory now. We separated her immediately after the attack and put her in the "hospital" coop by herself in the barn. She continued to cluck and fluff up and even tried attacking my husband's ankle. Then she settled and just sat down as though nesting. She is eating and drinking well. We let her out with the other girls today. They roamed the alpaca fields without too much ado but the younger girls were clearly very wary and Polly was seen stalking them a time or two. The wide open space kept things peaceful though. Their coop has served well for 4 years with 5 to 6 full grown chickens in it so it seems to be adequate for just 3.
Any ideas what this is all about? Are chickens subject to PTSD with so much change in the flock? Is there something I can be doing to help her?

The clucking constantly and ruffling of feathers when someone comes near sounds to me like broody behaviour, but not the attacking other hens. I have one hen that goes broody often and that's what she does, clucking constantly and ruffling her feathers but then she runs away to be alone.

Thanks so much for the replies, maryann momhen and 4 Georgia Hens. Polly spent 1 day on the nest day before yesterday but then spent all day yesterday out in the alpaca fields with the other 2 girls. There was evidence of comb pecking - black blood spots on the combs - for about 2 to 3 weeks before that though so maybe we just didn't see more nesting?
Polly was broody once before. She hissed and clucked loudly if approached on her nest and avoided contact with the others when she got down to feed but we didn't have the aggressiveness and the constant clucking that time though. She just seems so extreme and different right now. She's such a beautiful girl. It pains me to have to isolate her.
We have 3 more chicks in the brooder right now. I don't want any more problems that will naturally happen when it comes time to introduce them to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom