What is wrong with this poop?

KGandE

Songster
9 Years
Dec 21, 2014
My chicken - a five year old large black hen - has been limping and looking miserable for the past three days. One leg may be swollen, but not much, and she has no visible injury. I've been soaking her feet and legs in warm water and epsom salts and putting anticeptic spray on it but today I noticed she pooped while I was treating her and this poop does not look normal. I can't figure out if she has a leg injury or a systemic problem that is making her limp and puff up. Any ideas on what's wrong are appreciated. (Also, I do have a message out to my vet, waiting to hear back.) Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4196.jpg
    IMG_4196.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4197.jpg
    IMG_4197.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4195.jpg
    IMG_4195.jpg
    792.3 KB · Views: 8
Update: Vet says he doesn't see anything significant in either photo. Says it could be sciatic nerve pain as well as a problem (blockage, infection, or tumor) in the oviduct...

My chicken - a five year old large black hen - has been limping and looking miserable for the past three days. One leg may be swollen, but not much, and she has no visible injury. I've been soaking her feet and legs in warm water and epsom salts and putting anticeptic spray on it but today I noticed she pooped while I was treating her and this poop does not look normal. I can't figure out if she has a leg injury or a systemic problem that is making her limp and puff up. Any ideas on what's wrong are appreciated. (Also, I do have a message out to my vet, waiting to hear back.) Thank you.
Can you post photos of all of her? You mention she's puffing up?
A video of her walking may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

The poop looks to have smoothed oyster shell and grit that has been polished in the gizzard and expelled, I don't really see anything unusual unless every single poop she has for days is just like that, which may indicate she's consuming a lot of OS and Grit- you aren't adding these to her feed right.

Since you have vet care, get a fecal float to see if worms and/or coccidiosis are part of the issue.

Look her over really well for lice/mites while you are examining her.

Can you post photos of all of her? You mention she's puffing up?
A video of her walking may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

The poop looks to have smoothed oyster shell and grit that has been polished in the gizzard and expelled, I don't really see anything unusual unless every single poop she has for days is just like that, which may indicate she's consuming a lot of OS and Grit- you aren't adding these to her feed right.

Since you have vet care, get a fecal float to see if worms and/or coccidiosis are part of the issue.

Look her over really well for lice/mites while you are examining her.
Thanks. Vet says legs and poop look okay. Suspects a sciatic nerve issue - will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom