What kind of comb is this?

I guessed walnut mainly because he's got feathers in it. I have yet to see any combs besides walnut that have those tiny feathers in the flesh

Walnut genetically has both rose and pea comb genes, so I wasn't meaning to rule that out as an option! Just that the rose comb gene causes a widening of the comb area, more so than what happens with other comb genes, so he assuredly at least has a rose comb gene.

As far as feathering on the comb like that, you could be right in it being a strong indicator of that being a walnut comb. I don't have a whole lot of experience with walnut-combed breeds or feathering in the comb area, so I didn't even notice that or take it into account. 😅

The front hen on the bottom is likely his mama

I agree with this as well!

Well I can update in a few weeks to see how it develops if you guys want? Could be interesting. I hope he behaves himself. I wasn’t going to keep any cockerels but he’s so friendly. Dunno what he’ll be like when he’s bigger though.

I'd keep an eye on him. I have an araucana the same way. Hes respectful to people, but a major bully to cockerels that have yet to hit puberty, despite them not being a threat at all yet
Funny you say that as he does pick on one of the younger chicks in particular which is already showing traits of being a cockerel. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom