What makes a rooster go from amazing sweet to agressive?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I got this French black Copper maran rooster from a friend, in her flock he was super quiet and so sweet. He loved kids and she never even saw him crow

I got him and he started getting louder and after a few weeks of having him he’s started attacking people and kids alike. He used to be the least dominant rooster in her flock and would even be mistaken as a hen by the roosters and I do have another rooster but he’s less dominant then Copper.

What could make him change like this? And I know people are going to say stew pot and such but I’m currently working on agression “taming” and if that doesn’t work I’ll be rehoming him to someone without kids, I don’t have the heart to harm and eat a chicken I’ve known especially him.

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 47
Hormones. He was low guy in his last flock now he thinks he's the boss of everyone including humans. You can try to be firm with him and may succeed in getting him to respect you as the boss. That doesn't mean he won't attack other people or kids. You didn't mention his age but if he's young he may settle down or he might not. Hard to say. If you don't want to send him to freezer camp then you may need to keep him locked up in an enclosure where he can't hurt anyone or find someone who's willing to take him.

You moved him out of his normal space aka home. So he's acting up due to stress of being somewhere new and unfamiliar. Being hormonal plays into this also. You need to give him time to understand he's in a new home. And make your presence known everyday to him to let him know your his new caretaker. Roosters and hens like repetitive action it makes them feel safe.

You moved him out of his normal space aka home. So he's acting up due to stress of being somewhere new and unfamiliar. Being hormonal plays into this also. You need to give him time to understand he's in a new home. And make your presence known everyday to him to let him know your his new caretaker. Roosters and hens like repetitive action it makes them feel safe.
He’s been here for a few weeks… he was okay up until awhile ago when he started flogging me and the toddlers
He’s spent a couple days crowing for hours non stop (6am-8:30am no five minute breaks) he gets treats from humans daily along with me watering and feeding them.

Hormones. He was low guy in his last flock now he thinks he's the boss of everyone including humans. You can try to be firm with him and may succeed in getting him to respect you as the boss. That doesn't mean he won't attack other people or kids. You didn't mention his age but if he's young he may settle down or he might not. Hard to say. If you don't want to send him to freezer camp then you may need to keep him locked up in an enclosure where he can't hurt anyone or find someone who's willing to take him.
He gets depressed locked up. He’s a year old, I know a few people who will take roosters like that but not send them to freezer camp and his breed makes him ideal for breeding here thankfully

Sadly he can’t stick around if the adjustment period means flogging the kids around here even if it’s only for three months- but that does make sense, similar to a dog. I guess I’m not used to that every rooster I’ve gotten adjusted to new flocks insanely fast, like left my flock (on his own) and went and found a new one fast adjustments

Back
Top Bottom