What other chickens are black? Misinformed on chicken being australorp

floridachickhatcher

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Hollister,FL
My mom bought 10 chickens from a lady who said they were australorps but after seeing pictures of that breed ours looks nothing like them they are small and they have no green tint on their feathers at all this same lady who sold us white rocks thought they were wyandottes after research and post from BYC members told my mom those are not wyandottes they have the wrong comb this lady didnt know what she had and they are not jersey giants or black sex links they dont have the red on their head and i found out the australorp breed was developed from Black Orpingtons which i know is a BIG chicken cause i want Buff Orpingtons ^_^ sorry i dont have pictures of them i dont have a digital camera

could you describe the bird in a bit more detail? eg. comb colour and shape, colour of her legs/feet...
more detail will help the ppl here help you better
smile.png

Oh gosh, without pictures it would just be a random guess. There are SO many breeds that can be black. Lessee...

Easter Egger
New Jersey Giant
Black Sex Link/ Black Rock
Black Old English Game
Sumatra
Black Wyandotte
Black Cochin

...just to name a few.

If you don't have the ability to upload pictures, maybe you could google for pictures of black chickens, and link a picture that looks like yours.

Hope that helps a bit!

Are they bantams or large fowl? Do they have crests? Feathered legs? Extra toes? What color are the bottoms of the feet? How old are your birds? Most breeds of chickens have black as a variety. Pics would help greatly.

Quote:
okay i can tell you its not an EE,Sumatra or a Wyandotte nor a cochin and omg i think they are Black Old English Game i just saw a pic of one and some of them look like this! i thought their combs had been pecked at oh my momma is not gonna be happy when she finds out they are bantams
somad.gif
... this whole time we thought they were malnourished from their old owner and thats why they were so small in the end find out they are suppose to be that small
he.gif

92874_5633.jpg
Thank you Pele for listing the black chickens!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom