What should I feed my Narragansett for breeding?

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
I have a pair of Narragansett turkeys born last year. There originally were five poults. Four toms and 1 hen. Of the toms, three were processed or sold., leaving a pair for breeding.

I’ve been giving them different feed depending on the age. Starter, meat maker and now I need to feed them layer. I don’t think I can give them the same layer feed as my hens. Manna pro (24%) its the brand recommended by the breeder that sold me the poults. But, I can only get it in small 5 lbs. bags in my area and that makes it very expensive to feed them. One of those little bags lasts me 3-4 days. See pictures.

At my local feed store I found this Nutrena Naturewise all flock 20% pellets. And the nutrition analysis shows it to be more complete. See picture.

And then they have this other one Nutrena Country Feeds, Gamebird/Turkey Starter 28%. But has les of the varied nutrients. See picture.

When comparing the nutrient análisis, the Country Feed brand does not have vitamins A, D3, and E. Which the MANNA brand has and NatureWise also have.

I also feed them as snack scratch, 1-2 slices of wheat bread in pieces and they free range all day and eat veggies and fruits mix I provide in the morning.

I am leaning toward giving them the balanced Nutrena Naturewise all flock 20%. Since they are eating bugs all day free ranging. Also, if the 24% of protein, maybe there is a cheap way of supplying additional protein from moist cat food? What is the opinion of the BYC professionals? 🤗 thank you.

Attachments

• E264F8E9-C3BD-4A6B-A549-9ACA59051E5B.jpeg
    E264F8E9-C3BD-4A6B-A549-9ACA59051E5B.jpeg
    489 KB · Views: 7
  • B7C798DF-C331-46B5-8A1C-979EFA450449.jpeg
    B7C798DF-C331-46B5-8A1C-979EFA450449.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 8A39EB3C-FC15-4C42-9DC4-C4A6018D19AF.jpeg
    8A39EB3C-FC15-4C42-9DC4-C4A6018D19AF.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 13481B27-65D5-4694-858E-B2D78607C7E0.jpeg
    13481B27-65D5-4694-858E-B2D78607C7E0.jpeg
    501.5 KB · Views: 0
I have a pair of Narragansett turkeys born last year. There originally were five poults. Four toms and 1 hen. Of the toms, three were processed or sold., leaving a pair for breeding.

I’ve been giving them different feed depending on the age. Starter, meat maker and now I need to feed them layer. I don’t think I can give them the same layer feed as my hens. Manna pro (24%) its the brand recommended by the breeder that sold me the poults. But, I can only get it in small 5 lbs. bags in my area and that makes it very expensive to feed them. One of those little bags lasts me 3-4 days. See pictures.

At my local feed store I found this Nutrena Naturewise all flock 20% pellets. And the nutrition analysis shows it to be more complete. See picture.

And then they have this other one Nutrena Country Feeds, Gamebird/Turkey Starter 28%. But has less of the varied nutrients. See picture.

When comparing the nutrient analysis, the Country Feed brand does not have vitamins A, D3, and E. Which the MANNA brand has and NatureWise also have.

I also feed them as snack scratch, 1-2 slices of wheat bread in pieces and they free range all day and eat veggies and fruits mix I provide in the morning.

I am leaning toward giving them the balanced Nutrena Naturewise all flock 20%. Since they are eating bugs all day free ranging. Also, if the 24% of protein, maybe there is a cheap way of supplying additional protein from moist cat food? What is the opinion of the BYC professionals? 🤗 thank you.
Adult turkeys will do fine on a 20% protein all flock feed as long as it is supplemented with oyster shell for the hens. Adult turkeys do not need a higher protein feed than this and can do fine on one that is as low as 16% protein.

The game bird or turkey starter is the correct feed for poults from day one through 6 to 8 weeks.

Some people feel it is beneficial to add a good vitamin supplement to their water during breeding season.

Adult turkeys will do fine on a 20% protein all flock feed as long as it is supplemented with oyster shell for the hens. Adult turkeys do not need a higher protein feed than this and can do fine on one that is as low as 16% protein.

The game bird or turkey starter is the correct feed for poults from day one through 6 to 8 weeks.

Some people feel it is beneficial to add a good vitamin supplement to their water during breeding season.
Thank you! The 20% it is! What vitamin supplement do you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom