What the hell🥴

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
So I had this happen for the first time yesterday or day before!! I’ve read of this happening to other people but I’ve never had anyone lay an egg like this before! I’m not sure who laid it everyone is officially laying now with the exception of one Porcelain D’Uccle in the younger flock. I don’t think she’s laying yet. How does this happen?’ I always offer oyster shells for the ladies especially with everyone being on chick feed right now because of all the babies we have. I haven’t received another egg like this. How do I help prevent this? And whoever laid it are they ok?! Is it just lack of calcium or something?! How do they only lay just one like this and the next day they lay a normal egg? These chickens are keeping me on my damn toes never a dull moment over here! I feel like I’ve been posting on here every 5mins running to you guys for help like I always do when I have questions! Has anyone else ever had this happen and is it common?

Attachments

• CC00F9D8-22F2-4BDA-8A6D-DABD6E624296.jpeg
    CC00F9D8-22F2-4BDA-8A6D-DABD6E624296.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 6
It happens. If you have switched them to laying feed which has the proper balance of minerals including calcium, she is probably fine. If they are eating anything other than layer feed, offer calcium separately. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything as long as it doesn’t continue. I have hens that may lay a soft egg when they first start or out of the seeming blue and it will just be a once or twice thing and the shells get stronger again. I feed a complete layer ration to my hens.

How do they only lay just one like this and the next day they lay a normal egg?
It's likely a glitch...no need to panic.
Are they eating the OS, how are you offering it?

How old are your older birds, in months?
If you live in the northern hemisphere, it could be that they are ramping down production due to shortening days. You cn get some funky eggs around that time.

M
It happens. If you have switched them to laying feed which has the proper balance of minerals including calcium, she is probably fine. If they are eating anything other than layer feed, offer calcium separately. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything as long as it doesn’t continue. I have hens that may lay a soft egg when they first start or out of the seeming blue and it will just be a once or twice thing and the shells get stronger again. I feed a complete layer ration to my hens.
I’ve had to make the switch to chick feed months ago after integrating 4 separate flocks. I have 2month old chicks integrated with 4month old pullet and Roos 5month old pullets and established 1+yr old flock. My one 1yr old Duccle hen became broody over the summer and hatched out one chick and a local breeder I had requested silkies from hatched out 3 chicks about a week apart from chick broody hatched. So naturally everyone had to make that switch to chick starter. Like i was saying though I do always offer oyster shells to get them going then I’ll maintain it with regular ground up and dried egg shells. I just found out after talking with my friend who hatched out my silkies that silkies actually need a higher protein then regular birds? Is this true? What percentage of protein do I need to switch too and will it harm the rest of them if I put everyone on it since silkies absolutely need the higher percent?

M

I’ve had to make the switch to chick feed months ago after integrating 4 separate flocks. I have 2month old chicks integrated with 4month old pullet and Roos 5month old pullets and established 1+yr old flock. My one 1yr old Duccle hen became broody over the summer and hatched out one chick and a local breeder I had requested silkies from hatched out 3 chicks about a week apart from chick broody hatched. So naturally everyone had to make that switch to chick starter. Like i was saying though I do always offer oyster shells to get them going then I’ll maintain it with regular ground up and dried egg shells. I just found out after talking with my friend who hatched out my silkies that silkies actually need a higher protein then regular birds? Is this true? What percentage of protein do I need to switch too and will it harm the rest of them if I put everyone on it since silkies absolutely need the higher percent?
The typical guideline is to feed at least 18% protein for EVERY bird. Your feed is fine, since you have a mixed flock. Make sure to keep OS separate in a separate container where it cannot get wet. I agree that it is likely an egg laying glitch. New layers tend to have glitches, they are almost never an issue. It takes time for a bird to get into egg laying and to lay consistently.

It's likely a glitch...no need to panic.
Are they eating the OS, how are you offering it?

How old are your older birds, in months?
If you live in the northern hemisphere, it could be that they are ramping down production due to shortening days. You cn get some funky eggs around that time.
I just put some in a separate dish inside their closed in run so that hens that need it can just take some as they need it. I have a D’Uccle flock of Roos and hens 4months another flock of 6 mix of brahmas 1 leghorn 2 jersey giants 5months of age 1+yr old established flock of bantams with one older hen that’s about 2yrs I’m assuming we took in a yr ago for a coworker. And newer small flock of 4 2months in age. Everyone is officially laying now also with except of one of the D’Uccle hens I don’t know if she’s has officially laid her first egg or not honestly this egg I’m pretty sure my kids found In bigger coops nesting boxes when doing their daily round up chore for me. And my 4month old D’Uccles do not go up top in roosting area and nesting boxes of larger coop they have their own separate smaller coop and I let them out everyday to all free range together after slowly doing look but no touch intro suggested for integrating successfully. But yes we do live in northern hemisphere I was wondering how that would play out with my Duccles being old enough to lay around the time their body starts to naturally slow down production. I don’t force egg laying with lights with any of my hens I allow them to take a break as nature decided! I’m just really confused on who’s damn egg this is! I assumed it was one of the hens that took a little longer to lay and just kind of started. All the others that are months old starting laying beginning of summer besides one of my Brahmas she started about beginning of August my Jersey Giants the end of August about. I didn’t know that from the change of seasons and shorter hours of sunlight could cause this as well! I’ve never experienced this with any of the others. But I’ve been keeping an eye out this is the only one we received that looked like this a couple days ago and haven’t had another since!

Back
Top Bottom