What to do for chick not growing, constipated

The Kibble Goddess

Songster
14 Years
May 24, 2009
Sylvania, Ga
I have a 2 week old Delaware that is not growing & had what I thought was pasty-butt. Kept washing her bum, last week I trimmed her feathers thinking that was the problem. Been keeping an eye on her and noticed that her butt was going from trimmed to bald. Her vent is not clogged, but she's always got a wad of poo stuck below it. She's bald from the top of her vent to below her legs now. Was watching her today when she squawked, flared her wings a bit and started to poop. Her poo is enormous and stuck straight out of her butt for about 3/4". It hung there for ever till she finally leaned around and pecked most of it loose. What the heck is going on w/her? I didn't know chicks could get constipated.

She's getting the same medicated feed everyone else gets. I tried her on some yogurt, but she wouldn't eat it. The only idea I have is to add Mealworms and fresh greens to her diet. Do you think this will help? Is there anything else that can be done?

In comparison to her flockmates, she doesn't seem to be growing. The EE is 3X's her size, and the Barred Rock, Buff Orp, & Silver Wyandotte are 2x' her size. Of course, if she's bunged up (well that's how we say it around here!) than of course she can't eat as much as the others and wouldn't grow as well.

Thanx.

I gave her 3 mealworms and chopped greens this afternoon. Loved mealworms. Greens not so much
smile.png
Also gave 2 droppers full of diluted yogurt. No improvement yet. Any other suggestions?

Sorry, not alot to say but a few weeks ago when my chick had that on her bum, I set her in warm water in the laundry tub. She became so calm and it all dissolved off. Maybe helped inside a little
idunno.gif
Hope she is better soon.

Came home today and Della STANK! Phew! didn't know anything so small could smell so bad. I don't know if it was the yogurt or the mealworms that made the poo stuck to her butt smell so bad, but it didn't matter. Into the bath she went. While washing her, I remembered reading 'bout the guy dealing with the same thing who gave his chick enemas. Well, it was worth a try. Gently gave her 2 droppers full of warm water you-know-where. Nothing. Proceeded to blow-dry her. Gave her her yogurt. Put her back under the heat lamp, and you guessed it, a giangantic poop! If I had found that on the floor, I would have said it was the cat! That baby has to be feeling better now. I hope this this the end of this. We'll see tomorrow.

Glad she pooped after you put her down! My BR very narrowly missed the front of my shirt today whille I was inspecting the "ball of poo" on her hind-end! All three of my chicks do a "poopy dance" right before they do their business, so I had about 1/2 a second to get her away from me and over the brooder, lol.

Back
Top Bottom