What to do with chickens when on vacation?

I should start pet sitting for people nearby... I don’t go away EVER because I have horses, dogs, cats, parrots and now chickens... I can’t leave.
IF I do I have a close friend who stays at my place and does an excellent job (my animals call her auntie Becca) but I try to only ask that of her once a year because she usually has to take off work.. not many people have my routine down to a science like me lol

I wouldn’t leave birds for longer than a day without someone checking on them but that’s just me

You might try checking local Facebook groups dealing with chickens and put some feelers out to see if anybody would be able to drop by and check on your chooks for a little pay. At least then you'd know you'd be getting a pet sitter who had plenty of experience with chickens and wouldn't make any weird beginner mistakes in caring for them while you're gone. You could also put up an ad on Craigslist. If you left all the supplies for the chickens outdoors, you wouldn't even have to give a stranger your house key.
That sounds so perfect, but because I AM computer illiterate, How do I find a group? Google it? (I do know how to do that....) honest question....(duh?)

Vacation, what's a vacation?! :lol:
Haven't been on one since I got birds, no real hardship, but you sure can't just take them to the kennel like I did with my dogs.

Pretty hard to find someone who knows chickens(so they can spot a problem and knows what to do about it).

I used to chicken(and pigeon and rabbit) sit for a buddy, for about 10 years before I had chickens. He walked me thru his routines and wrote everything down(huge help). He usually free ranged but kept birds confined while gone because I could only get over there once a day(it was on my way home from work) to top off feed/water and gather eggs(my 'pay'). After I lost my job he also gave me a gas card. He had good secure setups for all his animals so there were no terrible issues.
Wow! That sounds so easy! My 3 kids free/range all day. They go to bed by 730, at the latest, and I let them out around 9am. I don’t have an actual “coop”... I have my utility room “rigged with roosts and it seems to be ok for the past year. There is ventilation, but not enough to make me feel comfortable being enclosed for s few days. Bless you for helping ! And you are SO right...if you don’t know or care (really) about chickens, I can’t leave them in that person’s care. My nephew will have to just cancel the dang wedding!!! (Haha!)

AFA8EB79-5C6B-4C33-8A5E-5A762A774112.jpeg
Google or search Facebook, I think... We have some great chicken groups here in CO. You probably have some too! :D Try searching 'backyard chickens' on facebook!
I’m all over that!! Let’s see what I come up with! My Bobby is saying a chicken prayer....

I did it!!! I found a BYC in San Antonio!! These people are nice and welcoming, too! Just like everyone here!!! I’m going in the right direction!!! Thanks, everybody!!

Back
Top Bottom