What to feed turkey poults?

Dirl

Hatching
Jun 26, 2020
I am getting 20 turkey pouts soon but I don't know what to feed them? Can I give them some cat food with the oats, corn and sunflower I can't have gluten or soy in my feed because my family and I can't be around it so we have to make our own mixes. If you have any ideas please let me know!!

I was pretty sure most cat foods had soy in them and also gluten, but I might be completely wrong. Having to avoid those two in your turkey feed might be pretty difficult since poults need about 28% protein at the start. Only other option I can think of is if you feed them some kind of processed animal protein, which could be pricey. Again, I'm shooting from the hip on this as most feeds I've ever dealt with contain both soy and gluten.

If it were me, I'd go with fishmeal or some kind of canned fish rather than cat food.
Early on, you can use a lot of mealworms or crickets. Gamebirds eat a lot of animal protein as young poults.
There are charts in the following link for nutrient requirements of turkeys at various ages.
https://extension2.missouri.edu/g8352
Sorghum, quinoa, buckwheat and amaranth are other gluten free grains.
Can you have any legumes besides soy?

Concentrated animal proteins like fish meal, dried crickets and mealworms are all above 28% protein, but no grain can provide enough on its own. Canned tuna comes close, but still wouldn't be enough. In combination with other high protein ingredients, tuna would be a great addition, but not necessarily for its protein content.

Quinoa could be helpful because of its high lysine content, but this is a dangerous game I think. I think the OP is trying to recreate the wheel a bit. Poultry feeds are formulated and tested to grow poultry efficiently and provide them everything they need in order to avoid problems.

A nutrient balancer like the one fertrell sells for turkeys would be a very good idea (not sure if it contains soy or gluten). These birds might need some decent free range access as well to make up for what they may or may not get in their experimental feed.

Fishmeal 60-70%
Crickets 58%
Mealworms 47%
Canned tuna 18%
Amaranth 15%
Sorghum 9.3%
Buckwheat 6.2%
Quinoa 4.4%

If it were me, I'd go with fishmeal or some kind of canned fish rather than cat food.
Early on, you can use a lot of mealworms or crickets. Gamebirds eat a lot of animal protein as young poults.
There are charts in the following link for nutrient requirements of turkeys at various ages.
https://extension2.missouri.edu/g8352
Sorghum, quinoa, buckwheat and amaranth are other gluten free grains.
Can you have any legumes besides soy?
Yes we can it's only soy and we have fishmeal but I read that it can't be over 10% of their diet so I needed more than just that to get to 28% protein that is needed.

Well fishmeal is 60% protein (with a good array of amino acids).
The reason to limit the fishmeal content is to prevent fishy tasting eggs. Poults aren't laying eggs.
Winter peas or flax could fill in some of the AA gap.

I recommend contacting your local ag. extension agent and seeing if he/she can help you in formulating a ration free of soy and gluten that will still meet the nutritional needs of your poults. Then take the ration formula to a feed mill near you and see if they can process it, only problem is it will probably be cross-contaminated from the regular milling process. You could purchase a mill of your own to process your ration free from contamination but this could be more expense than you are willing to incur.
My daughter is severely gluten intolerant, so I understand your circumstances. I never let her feed the birds for that reason.
Best wishes in this endeavor, keep us posted as to how you progress.

Blessings,

Bo

The food we are currently trying is 1 part sunflower, oats, fishmeal, 2 parts corn, and alfalfa, and 3 parts flax meal. We are using a cheap blender that we bought last year that we use to grind chick feed. I will keep you updated on if this works or not!

The food we are currently trying is 1 part sunflower, oats, fishmeal, 2 parts corn, and alfalfa, and 3 parts flax meal. We are using a cheap blender that we bought last year that we use to grind chick feed. I will keep you updated on if this works or not!
Between the sunflowers and the flax meal, it seems to me that you are feeding a diet that is way too high in fats.

Back
Top Bottom