What will we do without Frannie?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Two days ago we very suddenly lost our sweet Frannie who was at the top of the pecking order. She ruled with a gentle style. She was very clearly the one who called the shots but was NOT a bully in any way - the other hens respected her and deferred to her. Suddenly while I wasn't home she died! No explanation (awaiting necropsy) In the morning she was completely normal and when I got home she was under a table in our run dead. Now my other four seem really aimless and sad. I don't think it is my imagination. They are all sitting around more than usual, aren't eating very much, they are just "down". It is breaking my heart. And there is no clear successor! Our "number two" in line is very passive. She and Frannie hung out all of the time but she is very non-assertive. Out of our original four, Fancy Pants and Nelly tie for lowest. Fancy Pants is a bully that nobody seems to like, nor respect. They don't fear her, they just put her in her place or avoid her. Nellie is meek and submissive and always defers to everyone else. Then we have Babs who was new in October, started laying about a month or so ago, and they all tolerate her but nobody really hangs out with her. I just can't for the life of me figure out who will be top of the order and they seem not to know what to do. I want to get a few more hens to join our flock - was planning to do this soon - but I know since they are young that they have to be at the bottom for a good long time. Any thoughts or experience with this sad situation? My heart is broken and I think my flock's are too

Two days ago we very suddenly lost our sweet Frannie who was at the top of the pecking order. She ruled with a gentle style. She was very clearly the one who called the shots but was NOT a bully in any way - the other hens respected her and deferred to her. Suddenly while I wasn't home she died! No explanation (awaiting necropsy) In the morning she was completely normal and when I got home she was under a table in our run dead. Now my other four seem really aimless and sad. I don't think it is my imagination. They are all sitting around more than usual, aren't eating very much, they are just "down". It is breaking my heart. And there is no clear successor! Our "number two" in line is very passive. She and Frannie hung out all of the time but she is very non-assertive. Out of our original four, Fancy Pants and Nelly tie for lowest. Fancy Pants is a bully that nobody seems to like, nor respect. They don't fear her, they just put her in her place or avoid her. Nellie is meek and submissive and always defers to everyone else. Then we have Babs who was new in October, started laying about a month or so ago, and they all tolerate her but nobody really hangs out with her. I just can't for the life of me figure out who will be top of the order and they seem not to know what to do. I want to get a few more hens to join our flock - was planning to do this soon - but I know since they are young that they have to be at the bottom for a good long time. Any thoughts or experience with this sad situation? My heart is broken and I think my flock's are too
Im so sorry about frannie. They will figure out the pecking order it will take some time.

I'm sorry you lost Frannie. It seems she was very important for you and for your other hens.
I haven't experienced this myself, but have heard from several chicken keepers that chicken do grieve their dead friends. I think your flock needs some time to process Frannie's loss and move forward. I would definitely wait before introducing new hens as this will cause more stress for them.
And though there's probably no cause for worry, you should wait for the results of the necropsy just in case the cause of her death could be a concern for your other hens ( though what you describe make it seem like a heart attack).

It's also possible that their personalities will evolve now.
Let us know how they are doing in a few days and sorry again for the loss of Frannie.

Have you gotten the necropsy report back yet?

Back
Top Bottom