What will you pay for chicks?

I would be happy to start getting green eggs.
Ironically that is how I starred with the chickens. I was having a conversation with a lady and told her I want to have chickens that lay colored eggs. Blue or green.
She told me she has chickens and would ask her chicken helper to put eggs in an incubator (she was working away from her house so someone was taking care of her chickens while she was away). She delivered 19 chicks and 14 turned out to be male. None of the females lay colored eggs. That was spring of last year and how my chicken journey began.
My next chickens will be Ameraucana. I want my colored eggs 😁
Easter Eggers lay colored eggs, too.

The local farm & ranch store sells sexed chicks for $8 a pop. I see straight run chicks on Craigslist for around $5 -$10 each.
I recently ordered hatching eggs for about $8 an egg after shipping costs. I hatched 9 healthy chicks so they ended up being about 10.50 a chick.

If we buy pullets it’s from the crapshoot of Rural King farm store locally . Usually 1 in 3 are Roos .
We have acquired a few Cemani, originally was 8 chicks that turned out to be 6 cockerels . One hen died from a bobcat attack through the fence, so the one remaining hen was afraid to get off the roosting bars with 6 Roos circling like sharks.
We separated 5 Roos and paid for 3 more hens, going rate in our area was $45 per at 5-6 months old.
Cemani are gorgeous chickens but don’t lay a lot, we get 3-5 eggs a week. We are planning on getting a few clutches out of them and, if they are healthy chicks, making a deal with other local chicken crazies like us.
D40487CE-3822-49EC-96C7-B2CB52F412D9.jpeg

I try to buy 20 or so at a time, and get others to go in with me on my breeds (currently Barred Rocks and Australorp), then we get price breaks. At Meyer Hatchery, they are $4.58 qty 1-5, but $4.02 qty 26-49. Better price breaks up to 100+. Shipping is $10. At Murray McMurray, $5.71 qty 1-5, $4.64 qty 26-50. Shipping at qty is free. But order early.

Back
Top Bottom