What would cause such severe pecking?

Justhatched

Songster
8 Years
May 24, 2011
This is my fourth time raising chicks but the first time one drew blood. I have a hen that hatched and is "raising" the chicks. They are outside in a brooder. Yesterday they turned one month old. I woke up this morning to a lot of chirping/screetching. I investigated and saw one chick chasing two others. One had it's head pushed in the corner to protect itself. I felt so bad but figured they are establishing the pecking order and I shouldn't bother them. Things calmed down and I went back inside. A couple hours later the chirping/screetching started up again. When I went out I saw three chicks missing feathers/down and slightly bloody. I knew who was to blame. It was the one chasing the others. That one was missing some feathers/down but I figured it was the other defending themselves. I removed the "bully" and gave it food/water. I hope the bully just needs a little cool down time. One chick is missing feathers on his head and the other is missing feathers/down by it's tail, it's beak looks chipped and looks like it got pecked by the eye. Poor little guys. The one that I'm calling the "bully" has it's tail up in the air could it be a cockeral? I have a Brahma hen with them. The eggs were sold to me as Ameraucana. Daddy looked Ameraucana but Mom looked like she was EE. So I guess they're EE's. Could it be that the "bully" was picking on other cockeral's or pullets? What would cause such severe bullying?

I have been trying to figure out what they are from day one. The bully is the brown one and picked the feather out of ther other chick in this picture head.

I'm 99% sure the first chick is a cockeral because he's getting the red wing feathers. I was thinking the brown one was a pullet because it's brown and not the chipmunk silver color. That comb it really big for being a month old so it makes me think cockeral.

I agree it's likely a cockerel. You could keep him isolated for a full week then see if returning at the bottom of the pecking order will improve his behavior. If it is a cockerel, though, it may not help.

I put the "bully" in with the hen and chicks last night. The other two were scared and ran around but I watched them. The Bully didn't pay attention to them. I will keep checking to make sure they are getting along and adjust as needed.

Back
Top Bottom