MistRidge

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2024
Hi all! Pretty new to chickens/genetics here! I'm wondering what this pattern/colour combo might be called for my girl Tansy? Also can someone confirm what her comb type is - I'm still having trouble distinguishing some of them 😅. She's a sweetheart and I love how delicate these markings look, so I would like to pass on her genes if possible. I've been playing around with the Genetics Calculator but I'm not sure what I would list this as. I was thinking it looks a lot like the markings on a silver duckwing leghorn, minus the base colour? But I may be totally off there.

She's a 6 month old BYM, supposed to be an Ameraucana/Leghorn cross, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. She had standard chipmunk stripes as a chick. So far I haven't actually seen her lay an egg but I suspect it's one of these two lighter ones that started showing up a few weeks ago (which I guess would mean she can't have a pure O/O Ameraucana as one of her parents? I had been hoping for a light blue shell but the pinky-cream is cute too).

Any insight on her genetics (and/or what a good Roo might be to use with her if I want to make similar-looking babies) would be much appreciated!! Right now I have 3 boys (a BCM, a blue & red Olive Egger, and a light/splash Easter Egger - also not sure what I would list these boys as in the Genetics Calculator). My guess is the lighter roo would be the best bet, but maybe I need a different rooster entirely. Pics of Tansy, her suspected egg, and her potential baby daddies below 😊

PXL_20231206_181051642~2.jpg
PXL_20231206_181038404.jpg
PXL_20240115_171058261~2.jpg

PXL_20231211_184616292.MP.jpg
PXL_20240116_180113393.jpg
PXL_20240116_180033536_20240119100741616.jpg

Silver Duckwing With lots of silver, & Some Autosomal Red.
Missed the chipmunk stripe chick portion.

Last edited:
Rooster #1. Is a Black Copper(Red Birchen)

Rooster #2. Is a Blue Copper(Blue Birchen)

Rooster #3. Splash Copper(Splash Birchen)

@MysteryChicken Ok, thank you! And for the Splash Copper EE, is that a normal color for his head/neck? It's a sort of dun-ish color compared the real 'copper' on the other two roos. Not sure what the correct alleles for him would be, especially for the E locus and I locus.
He certainly seems like the best option out of the 3 boys for getting lots of potential results with my girl. But it also looks like it could take many many hatches to get something close to Tansy's coloring. Probably if I want little mini Tansies without hatching a few hundred+ chicks then it makes more sense to just find a silver duckwing patterned male, and hope some of the kids end up with the extra silver base..

Attachments

• PXL_20231211_184506315~3.jpg
    PXL_20231211_184506315~3.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 9
@MysteryChicken Ok, thank you! And for the Splash Copper EE, is that a normal color for his head/neck? It's a sort of dun-ish color compared the real 'copper' on the other two roos. Not sure what the correct alleles for him would be, especially for the E locus and I locus.
He certainly seems like the best option out of the 3 boys for getting lots of potential results with my girl. But it also looks like it could take many many hatches to get something close to Tansy's coloring. Probably if I want little mini Tansies without hatching a few hundred+ chicks then it makes more sense to just find a silver duckwing patterned male, and hope some of the kids end up with the extra silver base..
To me he looks gold based but with less copper than the others.
The others have more copper coloring. Therefore they are better for producing Tansy’s phenotype. To get her more chicks like her I would breed her to the black copper cock and then breed her sons grandson etc back to her until I produce more like her.

Sometimes blue can make red look muddy.
Your tag didn't work.

He's E^R/E^R, Mh/Mh ,Bl/Bl

Back
Top Bottom