What would you pay to rent processing equipment?

stayathomedad

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
A friend and I were going to start a little processing business until we found out how much red tape we would need to get through. We have decided to just rent out the equipment instead. We have a 5-kill cone set-up, whizbang plucker, and a 6 ft. stainless table with sink (garden hose connects to faucet) and we are in the process of building a scalder as well. We may end up using a propane burner with a 5 gallon pot instead.
Has anyone done this? What would be a reasonable rental fee? We were thinking of charging a refundable damage deposit if everything is taken care of. Hourly, half day, or full day? Should we charge mileage, or just include it in the rental price? Would it be wise to get a contract written up as well?
I know it would probably depend on location as well. We are in the Fort Wayne, IN area. We would probably go to site, deliver equipment, give a lesson on how everything works, leave, come back to pick up equipment when done.

Last edited:
I can get my birds processed for $2.85 per bird so I would just take them to the processor and have no headaches. If I decide to process myself I will just build everything I need.

From a money making business point of view, I don't think you will make much money renting your processing equipment. If people were coming to you to pick up the equipment you would make money eventually. If you were setting up the equipment and delivering it, how much is your time worth? If your time was worth say $20 per hour and you went out all over the place dropping off and setting up equipment. Before you know it you could have 4 or 5 hours a day doing this. Then if you have two people making deliveries you are up to $40 per hour depending what your time is worth to you.

Last edited:
We rent our equipment out, it stays pretty well booked every weekend through the summer time

we charge 30 dollars a day and 50 for the weekend, plus 25 cents a mile each way to deliver it outside a 25 mile radius. I don't think you'll make money but helps pay for the equipment that cost a fortune.

Basically through the summer time it brings in about 200 dollars a month and we process 100-200 a month with it so all in all, if I was to pay for the processing it brings back 350-700 dollars on just my birds at 3.50 each and then the 200 in rentals so on average about 550-750 a month, that is our vacation money at the end of the season.

We rent out

Plucker
Killing cones
Scalder
chill tank

Basically all the customers have to furnish is the propane,ice and knives.

I refuse to rent or borrow my equipment. It NEVER comes back clean or in the shape it went out. I will rent my cat. She always seems to find her way back.....
wink.png

Quote:
Hey I've seen your ad and I actually emailed you about your service
big_smile.png
My wonderful husband decided he wanted to do all the fun work himself. $30 a day is a steal
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom