What's a good combination?

1dog1chicken

Hatching
Jul 18, 2023
Hi everyone,

We currently have one gingernut ranger in quite a large yard, and she's about 3-4 years old. There were 4 of them in total but unfortunately three of them have died now, 2 eaten by predators and one of possibly natural causes.

Looking at getting a few more, maybe another 4 or so. I just wanted some advice on what the best breeds would be that would get on well with this one and that will give us the most amount of eggs. Our current one has actually stopped laying eggs a few months ago.

Is it possible to get the same breed? If not, maybe Rhode Island Red since that’s half the makeup of the breed, or Barred Rock. My Barred Rock was an excellent layer. Black Australorps are supposed to be excellent layers too but it can depend. White Leghorns are great too if you don’t mind white eggs. People say they’re a little flighty too but mine wasn’t at all and was very curious and friendly. They should all get along with your bird but I would definitely do look don’t touch integration for a few weeks first. They might get picked on a bit at first being younger and new but it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom