What's going on with my chickens?????

beebiz

Songster
12 Years
Jul 2, 2007
W. Tennessee
I have 13 Buff Orpington hens and 3 roosters. They are about 7 1/2 months old. Until shortly after the time when they started laying, they were a beautiful orange/gold. Now, they have developed very light colored spots on them. I'm sure the sun hasn't bleached their feathers out that way, but it kind of looks like it has. I'm reasonably sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they are laying. And, I've looked them over good and find no bugs (lice, mites, or anything that way) on them. I don't know what is going on. At 7 1/2 months old and this late in the year, could it be that they are going through a juvenile molt??

Can anyone look at these pics and give me some kind of idea as to what is going on?? If you can, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's the pics:

New023.jpg
New013.jpg
New018.jpg
New017.jpg

The roosters are affected about the same. But, the hens vairy somewhat. Though I don't feel like it has anything to do with their laying, the hens who have been laying the longest are affected the worst. Sorry, but the pic of the hen by herself is not all that great of an example of how most of the hens look. She looks better than all of the rest of them.

Thanks for any input that you have.

Robert

There is a hen..... and come to think of it, I believe that it is the one in the pic by herself, who I see with a feather in her mouth just about all the time. I won't be able to watch her much today. We are having a lot of thunderstorms around here. A few years ago I was standing under a huge oak tree, and I was indirectly struck by lightening. Since then, I don't like to be outside when those sparks fly off the toe of Michael's (the archangel) boot as he is kicking Satan in the behind!!! I don't care much for the racket either!! And, the way the forecast looks, it will probably be Thursday before I get a chance to watch her much.

I had never heard of or had a problem with "feather picking" before. But, I did a search for it and found lots of information about it. From what I've read, I don't think it is a diet problem. And, I know it is not an overcrowding problem. I am reasonably sure it is a "too many roosters" problem. I know that the rule of thumb is 1 roo for 10 to 12 hens. But, since I have 13 I figured it wouldn't hurt to keep 2. And, since I didn't want to be caught "short handed," I kept a third one. But, it looks like at least one of them will have to go.

Thanks for the input!!

Robert

Back
Top Bottom