What's wrong with my call duck?

I agree, the kind of behavior you're seeing at this moment is more than likely correlated with the attack, and she's just a little stressed. Just to be sure, you may check the rest of her body more thoroughly for injuries of sorts, in case the damage was caused by a raptor.

Overall, just keep her in a warm area with feed, and water provided, and she should be feeling better very soon. If the eyes are a little gunky, you can add a few saline drops. That will help kill some of the bacteria, and flush out any gunk. She's a very pretty bird.

I agree, the kind of behavior you're seeing at this moment is more than likely correlated with the attack, and she's just a little stressed. Just to be sure, you may check the rest of her body more thoroughly for injuries of sorts, in case the damage was caused by a raptor.

Overall, just keep her in a warm area with feed, and water provided, and she should be feeling better very soon. If the eyes are a little gunky, you can add a few saline drops. That will help kill some of the bacteria, and flush out any gunk. She's a very pretty bird.
Thank you!! I'm having a hard time even getting to the eye that they pecked. I treated her with Vetricyn and made sure she's warm and cozy and she's has food, water and grit. She pooped all over herself. If she seems less stressed this afternoon do you think a bath would be ok?

Only problem putting Epsom salt in bath is her drinking it it is also a laxative. So maybe just bath her wounds with warm salt water or just keep using the Vetericyn which is very good for wounds. Just make sure all wounds are cleaned real well. To keep infection from happening

Only problem putting Epsom salt in bath is her drinking it it is also a laxative. So maybe just bath her wounds with warm salt water or just keep using the Vetericyn which is very good for wounds. Just make sure all wounds are cleaned real well. To keep infection from happening
The kids said when they found her the perkins had her (pretty sure she's female) down in a muddy puddle pecking her. A friend and I have an acreage together and I was away for a couple days and unaware that this happened. They put her in doors and seperated her. When I went out yesterday the kids told me and I immediately took her home and msgs all of you. She has diarrhea and am trying to keep the nutri drench in her along with food. She's so dirty that it's hard for me to figure out her exact state. Plus, she all puffed up. Of course. So that's why I want to get her washed up. Can I put her in a small little tote where she of course can stand and wash her off that way? I just don't know if she's still to traumatized to do that or maybe she would like it. Her nostrils need cleared as well so I'm hoping that she will clean them out since she was leaning last night.
16082226779011601481474224379176.jpg

16082227449401936016719294781987.jpg

What is the temperature in her tote area?

I would personally keep her dry. The puffed-up stance you're seeing is likely a combination of her trying to maintain warmth, and just overall feeling stressed from the attack. Similar to adding wood to a stove, when a bird stops/less eating, their not able to maintain their body temperature well. That is why it's important to keep them in a warm area.

I would continue to keep her in the tote, make sure she's warm, and ensure she's getting enough feed and water inside her. Keep an eye on how much she's eating, and drinking. If you notice any lack of either, especially drinking, contact a vet, or let us know.

What is the temperature in her tote area?

I would personally keep her dry. The puffed-up stance you're seeing is likely a combination of her trying to maintain warmth, and just overall feeling stressed from the attack. Similar to adding wood to a stove, when a bird stops/less eating, their not able to maintain their body temperature well. That is why it's important to keep them in a warm area.

I would continue to keep her in the tote, make sure she's warm, and ensure she's getting enough feed and water inside her. Keep an eye on how much she's eating, and drinking. If you notice any lack of either, especially drinking, contact a vet, or let us know.
Thank you!! I will continue to keep her in the tote in my house. I have a space heater I have near her and use when she needs it. Her poop smells horrible. I have let her bathe a couple times, of course I use the space heater. Her depth perception is way off due to her eye, so I haven't bathed her with soap. I don't want to stress her more by handling her too much. She is a sweet thing normally and of course is very out of sorts and gets scared when I go to lift her up. Am I doing the right thing? I still use the Vetricyn but like I said no soap as of now.

Thank you!! I will continue to keep her in the tote in my house. I have a space heater I have near her and use when she needs it. Her poop smells horrible. I have let her bathe a couple times, of course I use the space heater. Her depth perception is way off due to her eye, so I haven't bathed her with soap. I don't want to stress her more by handling her too much. She is a sweet thing normally and of course is very out of sorts and gets scared when I go to lift her up. Am I doing the right thing? I still use the Vetricyn but like I said no soap as of now.

You're welcome.

Ideally, you're not going to want to use soap on her feathers in the bath as soap will bind with the natural oils on her feathers, and will subsequently wash them away. Continued use of soap will cause her feathers to look very frailed; on a microscopic level the barbules that interlock, won't be doing so due to the soap.

If her eye is a little gunky, you can make a saline solution by dissolving two teaspoons of table salt with four cups of water, boiling till all the salt is dissolved. You can apply a few drops to her eye using an eyedropper, or small syringe. Saline is antibacterial, as well as an anti-inflammatory.

The overall appearance, smell, and consistency of the bird's droppings can be a good indicator of what's going on internally. If you're noticing a pungent smell when she poops, that's different than her normal poop, and perhaps is taking on a different color/ like bright green, it's possible she has an infection of sorts. If you think that may be a prevalent concern, it may be best to get in contact with an avian veterinarian in your area. If not, if you live in the US, antibiotics can be purchased in fish/bird form without any prescription.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Back
Top Bottom