What's wrong with pine bedding, shavings or chips?

I have used pine shaving for a number of years for literally hundreds of chicks and never YET experienced any respiratory or other ill conditions caused by the shavings. After using a number of materials.. (industrial hemp not locally available) they come in different sizes and work fairly well.

I do also like rice hulls.. carried in the same plastic type bale as shavings and equally affordable at one of my LFS (local feed stores).

I did read some time back that the oils in cedar *could* cause issues for the feet skin, in addition to the lung stuff.. I don't use cedar, and definitely see how it's easy for folks to make the association jump to pine.. I see it all the time with things like deadly night shade and plants in the night shade family, for example.

Another product I have used is pine or aspen wood stove pellets.. preferred in my piggy litter box, but not in my brooders.

Hay/straw.. awful for absorbtion

For my coop, I do add in outside material.. some folks use the "deep litter" method. My location is too moist, so I got semi deep litter (think forest floor) on my coop floor and droppings boards to catch roost waste, clean as needed depending on season and stock density. My brooder usually only gets a shovel of dirt/grass for enrichment/immunity not as bedding.
Okay, thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom