Wheaten Ameraucana Chick Sexing

Marleeschicks

Chirping
May 28, 2023
While I am a couple weeks early I was hoping for some thoughts on my 3ish week old Wheaten ameraucana. We are losing several of our original chicks and had an awful roo ratio — so I am thankful wheatens can be sexed much earlier.
We also have 2 wheaten Oliver’s (maran/amer.) and definitely have an obvious roo. Of course my true ameraucana who is the one I’m most hoping for — is a little different in coloring. I am seeing some white chest feathers coming so fingers crossed 😆
Pic #1-3 are my wheaten ameraucana.
Pic #4 is my likely blue wheaten Oliver (assuming pullet)
Pic #5 is my roo and pullet for comparison
Pic 6 is my ameraucana and Oliver pullet
TIA GUYS🙂 will keep updated especially because not many super helpful wheaten chick sexing threads

Attachments

• IMG_4616.jpeg
    IMG_4616.jpeg
    790.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4617.jpeg
    IMG_4617.jpeg
    999.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4618.jpeg
    IMG_4618.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4549.jpeg
    IMG_4549.jpeg
    437.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4359.jpeg
    IMG_4359.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4556.jpeg
    IMG_4556.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 56
The olive egger is certainly a pullet, but not so sure about the Ameraucana in question. Give it a little more time. Some of those breast feathers appear darkish, but most are light, so it's mixed signals so far.
That’s exactly what I’m sayin! Gah 😫 The one I’m most concerned ab being a pullet cos it’s my only wheaten ameraucana lol

Based on exactly one batch of wheaten Marans I've hatched- the cockerels get dark shoulder feathers really quickly, and the sort of spread down the wing.

So at least for now, I'd say the chick in pics 1-3 is a little pullet.

I had only one pullet from the hatch, and it was apparently from about a week on that she was my only girl!

I am just starting to raise my flock of Wheatens and have some orders in but my first hatch gave me 1 girl only and 4 cocks, three blue and one "black".

One of the things i learned about the sexing of the breed at a week when they have grown in pin feathers from their breast. The cockerels will have dark pin feathers at the check, the pulls will have white, breast pin feathers.

Back
Top Bottom