Wheaton Ameraucana Lockdown - To Hatch or Not to Hatch?

End of Day 20 update:

No external pips so far, but I did see what looked like an internal pip and movement when I candled one earlier today. Starting to get antsy as I had an external pip by this time last hatch - here's to hoping they pip soon! The waiting game is excruciating :)

Woke up this morning to three pipped Ameraucana eggs. A fourth egg is trying (you can hear tapping) and the last is quiet - the quiet one is the third pale blue egg, the other two died in early development, so I'm wondering if there is an unhealthy hen laying those. The four cochin eggs haven't pipped yet, but they're about a day behind the rest so this is to be expected. Now it's a waiting game.

65069994-6E88-46B8-8850-905F46E26A50.JPG

Last edited:
Early afternoon update! All five Ameraucana eggs have externally pipped and things are progressing smoothly. Now we wait for the first one to begin zipping :)

Update: Four of the Wheaten Ameraucana chicks have hatched and are in good health. I've had to assist a little - which I have lots of experience doing from when I was a child (with a veterinarian father) - as a few chicks were stuck. These guys have been less robust than eggs from my cochin flock, which just hatch on their own easily. So it's been a night of no sleep, but I am determined not to loose any from this hatch as there are only five (I only bought seven eggs) and I know that some of those will be roosters no doubt.

The first cochin egg has a tiny external pip! Looking forward to those guys hatching out over the next day or two.

C4C24A2D-6456-445A-A78A-50E3248C16F8.JPG

Final Ameraucana Hatching Update: All five chicks made it (albeit some with a little help) and are doing well in the brooder now.

128F2369-B9E8-46B5-B03C-6BE0699CB0BF.JPG

The first of my Cochin eggs from my own flock has pipped and is peeping - let's hope the other four follow. Addicted me is off to pick up some Black Copper Maran eggs tomorrow, which will be the last planned batch of the year aside from another hatch or two from our own flock.

B026BEE8-3B98-46E2-A615-6DD252496490.JPG

Back
Top Bottom