When are you sure your chicken is a roo?

BrittanyL15

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2020
Hey guys!! I am a new chicken momma to 4 8 week old RIR babies. I feel certain my little nugget is a rooster. He was the smallest baby, the last to feather, and the one who never wanted to participate in activities the other girls were into. His comb was already large and in charge by the time he hit 4 weeks old. He is a bossy little fella, does not want the girls exploring too far and makes sure they know that. We have had a home set up since we got the chickies for any possible Roos we might have. Do you agree that nugget does in fact look like a Roo? At what point do you send them on their way? The first crow? Or before? I hate the idea of parting with little Nugget and then learning I didn't really have to. P.s. our 6yo and 3yo came up with all of the names for our new chicken family members (and they are darn proud of that). Chickens are the best!
20200620_094019.jpg
20200620_093719.jpg
20200621_220633.jpg

He’s definitely a boy. It’s easy to tell when you have several of the same breed that are the same age, and one suddenly gets a big red comb and waddles, while the others still have pale little ones. 6-8 weeks is generally when this becomes clear. It’s up to you when you decide to rehome roosters, but if you can’t have them for noise reasons I would recommend doing so before he starts crowing.

I send them packing as soon as a red comb starts developing. While I can't be sure that an undeveloped young bird is a pullet, I can be 99% sure that a 3 week old with a red comb is a cockerel. Less feed I have to put in them the better.

Nugget is all male.

Roosters have saddle feathers, large comb and wattles. Nugget is a rooster. The thing to check for is behavior, it will change as he gets older and there are some really nasty, vicious roosters.
Attacking keepers, children, house pets, etc. So just a heads up.

Back
Top Bottom