When can I put my chicks outside?

Popcorn Mcgee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2012
I have four chicks that are all 6.5 weeks old. We have two brahmas, one cochin and one golden buff. They have about 98% of their feathers and look like miniture versions of their adult selfs. They have outgrown their brooding box and are now living in a rabbit hutch in our house. This arrangement has worked very well but they are now starting to smell even though I clean their hutch out every day. We live in northern Ohio and the weather currently is mid 60's during the day and 40's at night. We have a nice chicken coop with a run and I'm wondering if it's okay to put them outside yet, with the brooding light set up inside of the coop.

im new to chickenry, but i am in florida and i too had my chicks in my house until i just couldn't bare it, being a first time owner i was skeptical. It gets warm here, high 80's during the day and as low as 49 at night. I had a rabbit run type of cage, and had them in it at 5 weeks outside, i covered them up with blankets at night with thier lamp on and left them out in the day. they all did fine, now at 7 wks, they are out all the time, no lamps. i have a new batch of 8 day olds that just took over the outside rabbit run since the older ones moved into the coop!

hope it helps...

Mine are the same age as yours, and they are going to the coop this weekend. I live in the Midwest, and we have been quite warm, but every now and then, we do have a cooler night. My barn stays quite warm at night for the other animals, and I think the coop will too. I am holding out because this coming Friday, we are only supposed to be a high of 60 degrees and we have been in the 70's/80's so I want to get through that night with them still inside. They are spending their days out in a fenced in area, and then I carry they back in around dusk.

Thanks for the advice. These are our first chickens and having them inside has made my 3 year old daughter very attached to them. She loves them and they love her, so I don't want to make a stupid mistake on my end by putting them out if I shouldn't yet and lose any of them. My daughter would be very sad. I bought them to be dual purpose but thanks to my daughter they are now going to be just pets.

I've 6 chicks all already have feathers but still young aroun 6 weeks old I reckon.. I tried to put them outside but my guineas are notorious and very territorial.. they chased the little chicks and one got stuck .. so I've to bring them into the house again and wait for a little longer... I'll say if you have territorial fowl or adult chickens.. just be careful when putting the young ones outside..

they should be ok i live in FL and i have 2 4.5 week old chicks they can go outside at 6 or 7 weeks old just fill up the coop with warm hay and they will be ok

thumbsup.gif
My chicks are the same age...and I was wondering the same...great answers

Back
Top Bottom