When can you tell if a cockerel is going to be a good one?

Becks Chicks

Songster
Jun 3, 2022
Southwest WA
My cockerel is 5 months old and appears great with the hens and pullets. He isn’t aggressive with the flock and gives me plenty of space. He actually seems a little scared of the dominant hen and I’ve seen her knock him off when trying to mate. It’s all been fairly drama free. Is there an age when you can tell it‘s going to work out?

Sounds pretty good so far, keep doing whatever you're doing.

There's no specific age, things can go sideways at any time(not that they will).
The fact that he's already 5mo and is being schooled by an older hen is good IMO.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I had to cull my other cockerel because he was too aggressive.

Growing up, we had chickens. I would collect the eggs and the roosters would attack. As an adult, I still have a bit of a fear about being in an enclosed space near a rooster.

One of the best thing you can do is be calm and cool,
Tamp down that fear, hey can feel it and it makes them nervous thus more likely to strike out.

That's why I like this one. He looks at me and runs the other direction! I'm hoping he continues to be a good one.

By 6 months - I am fairly confident, by a year more so...but they can become rotten at anytime.
True that! I had a rooster that was a perfectly good one for about four years, then all of a sudden he wasn't. I think he started to intimidate my kid without me realizing it and it escalated.

Back
Top Bottom