When should I consider euthanasia?

Jan 17, 2021
Animal attacked my hen. I can’t tell is she’s getting better except I can see the deep deep lacerations are healing. But I can’t tell if the lacerations are what’s causing her to not walk or if it’s a broken hip or leg.

I have to bathe her at night to get the poop off her feathers because she can’t move. But I feel it makes it worse because she freaks out.

At what point should I consider putting her down? I don’t know if it’s necessary or not

Is a vet an option?

Ultimately that call is tour's alone. You should however confided certain things. Things like her current quality of life, future quality of life, the severity of the injuries or injury, and the pain she may be in. You should also confided the possibility of internal injuries other then broken bones to. Hens will be less likely to move if their bleeding internally as well.

Also, pics would help.

Here’s the wound but she’s sitting up nicely today. I’ve also gotten here to eat/drink a smidge

Attachments

• D9431EE9-2388-479A-8EE5-595198E40245.jpeg
    D9431EE9-2388-479A-8EE5-595198E40245.jpeg
    736.9 KB · Views: 8
Here’s the wound but she’s sitting up nicely today. I’ve also gotten here to eat/drink a smidge
Sorry but I can't tell what's feather and what's wound in that pic. Have you been treating it with anti bacterial spray or ointment? Given it any salt washes? What have you done to care for this injury? Was it wrapped??

I'm not an expert on animals attacks, nor the moral decision to end one's suffering, but maybe I can help a little bit. Recently I had to put down a hen of my own (first time ever killing an animal) so this has been on my mind a lot lately. My main reasons for killing her was:
  1. I didn't think she was going to get better. I thought her life would just be a constant fight of painful infection.
  2. I would also have to put in time to fight the infection with her. I simply didn't have time to do it for an extended amount of time. If I couldn't put in the time to care for her, then she would suffer and that wouldn't be right.
It sounds like your hen is improving and it doesn't sound like she is too terribly off, at least not at the moment (I don't know when the incident occurred so it's hard for me to say whether she's doing well enough). Her not moving is definitely a concern, like anime2lover pointed out. The reason for her not moving may be a permanent condition. You say she was sitting up nicely today, so that sounds like improvement. If it's improving then hopefully it's not permanent. But since you really don't know the cause it's hard to say.

I have seen a chicken sling suggested a lot on here. I've never used it myself, but perhaps it would benefit your hen? As long as it's not rubbing against the wound or causing her pain. It would keep her from laying in her poop and it may even help the healing of possible broken bones. Sometimes chickens don't tolerate it so if you do use it be sure to supervise her so she doesn't stress out and hurt herself. Heres a picture I found:
sling+1.png
There are holes cut into it for her legs. If you need to you can also cut a hole for the poop to fall through.

At the end of the day it is your decision. Personally, I would base my decision on pain level, improvement or lack thereof, and what I can handle. Again, completely your decision, but hopefully that helps a little bit. Good luck!

Ne
I did a peroxide/water solution and then have been using Microcyn on it
Never heard of microcyn. I wrapped mine with ace bandages for animals when she was attacked by a dog. She healed just fine. I can only suggest you try doing daily salt rinses. That might help. Peroxide is good, but is on the harsher side in my opinion so for us that's more of an if I have nothing else to use kinda thing. Some things you might want to look into for future wounds are things like bluekote or vetrycyn. They work really well. Is she being housed outside?

Back
Top Bottom