When should I intervene in bullying?

Do I have to intervene in a chicken chasing and pecking all the other chickens if there's no feather picking or blood or physical harm? Do I count this is bullying or the pecking order vibe check is supposed to be just daily for months and months.

I have 2 45 week old hens, 4 14 week old pullets, 1 14 week old rooster. All these are cream legbars.
I introduced the younger chickens at around 5 weeks of age.
One of the elder hens always chase and peck at the young ones whenever they see the young ones eating or if they come close. There will be times where the hens are resting and a distance away where the young ones won't get chased and they can relax.
I also introduced 2 new hens, both roughly 1 and half years old, a smaller Black Araucana hen and one sizeable Lohmann Brown hen. For 2 weeks, I've put them in a cage in their enclosure and now I let all chickens out into the larger garden run.
The 45wo cream legbar is the one doing the most chasing and pecking but is still subordinate to the more chill 45wo who only pecks at the food dish.
We have a portable dog kennel. When our older hens & rooster were picking on my 6 week old pullets I would pull the problem chicken & lock them in the dog kennel for the day. I think this also changes the pecking order some. Takes em down a peg or 2. Worked for us. The problem rooster had to be caged away from his girls for 3 days. The younger rooster had an opportunity to take over. Same with my mean silkies. They were not very inviting of the pullets. Caging them separate from the flock seemed to help.

Back
Top Bottom