When to change to layers food

Thebarter

Chirping
May 12, 2023
Hi we currently have two groninger bantams one 18 week and one 23 weeks old both eating growers pellets separate to our isa browns which are on layer pallets.Im not sure when to change the bantams to layers pellets as they have not laid any eggs yet do they have to lay there first egg before changing over or can I just feed them layers now there around point of lay found lots of mixed information.

If the younger ones are almost ready to lay eggs, it should be fine to let them have layer pellets.

But if you have any leftover grower pellets, don't waste them. Layers can also eat grower pellets, as long as the layers have a dish of free-choice oyster shell to provide calcium. (That is the big difference: layer feed has more calcium than grower feed. So grower feed + calcium is fine for layers.)

If the younger ones are almost ready to lay eggs, it should be fine to let them have layer pellets.

But if you have any leftover grower pellets, don't waste them. Layers can also eat grower pellets, as long as the layers have a dish of free-choice oyster shell to provide calcium. (That is the big difference: layer feed has more calcium than grower feed. So grower feed + calcium is fine for layers.)
How can I tell if she is getting ready to lay eggs

How can I tell if she is getting ready to lay eggs
When her comb gets bigger and bright red (like a mature hen), she is close to laying. Pullets have small pale combs before that point, then the same hormones that get them ready to lay eggs will also cause the comb to get bigger and redder, and the face will generally get red too.

The age is sometimes useful for guessing (pullets almost never start laying younger than 16 weeks, but some take several months past that age), but yours are already old enough that they will lay whenever they reach the right stage of physical development. That could be soon, or they could wait until the days get long in the spring (assuming it is currently autumn where you live.)

Back
Top Bottom