When to give them flock raiser?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I have a pullet and a cockerel, both about 18 weeks old. The pullet doesn't seem broody or ready to lay eggs yet but we put out a nesting bucket for her last week in case. I also put a golf ball in there. I read to start giving chickens layer feed around 18-24 weeks or when they start laying. I have about 3 weeks of chick starter feed left. Since the pullet hasn't started laying yet, would it be okay to finish off their current feed before starting them on flock raiser? I will just leave out oyster shells for her since the cockerel isn't supposed to have too much calcium. I did find him pecking at an old egg shell in my garden from compost. Does that mean he might try and eat any eggs she lays?

I have a pullet and a cockerel, both about 18 weeks old.
I have about 3 weeks of chick starter feed left. Since the pullet hasn't started laying yet, would it be okay to finish off their current feed before starting them on flock raiser?
Sure, I used to feed my hens a Non-medicated Starter Grower feed 18% with Oyster Shells separately.
I will just leave out oyster shells for her since the cockerel isn't supposed to have too much calcium. I did find him pecking at an old egg shell in my garden from compost. Does that mean he might try and eat any eggs she lays
No, egg shells are delicious to chickens regardless of sex.
GC

It is fine to use up the starter feed. As long as your pullet has oyster shells available if she needs them. In fact since you have a cockerel I would use an all flock type feed rather than a layer feed when your starter is gone.
I use Purina Flockraiser, most brands have a feed suitable for mixed age/gender flocks. Good luck! :)

It is fine to use up the starter feed. As long as your pullet has oyster shells available if she needs them. In fact since you have a cockerel I would use an all flock type feed rather than a layer feed when your starter is gone.
I use Purina Flockraiser, most brands have a feed suitable for mixed age/gender flocks. Good luck! :)
Thank you! When would be a good time to start leaving out the oyster shells? I think she just turned 18 weeks last Sunday.

Now would be fine for the oyster shell. You have a good plan to switch them to flock raiser. Depending on what's available for you, you can keep them on starter/grower for life too. I go for the flock raiser first as it usually gives me the best combination of protein, freshness, and price. When not available or as fresh as I'd like, I look at the starter/grower feeds. Always check the mill date and plan on using within 2-3 months of that.

Now would be fine for the oyster shell. You have a good plan to switch them to flock raiser. Depending on what's available for you, you can keep them on starter/grower for life too. I go for the flock raiser first as it usually gives me the best combination of protein, freshness, and price. When not available or as fresh as I'd like, I look at the starter/grower feeds. Always check the mill date and plan on using within 2-3 months of that.
I realized that crushed egg shells seem like a great economical option. Is there any reason why it might be a bad idea?

Following advice given over the years here, I've been successfully raising my chicks with one bag of medicated feed and switch over to all-flock crumble whenever that bag runs out -- assuming I can get all-flock *crumble* and not just pellet.

When I started this flock last year I started offering oystershell and crushed eggshells (from grocery store eggs), when I saw the first couple combs reddening up.

I feed all the eggshells back to my hens. I do provide oyster shell as well. I dry them in a warm oven. Crush lightly and back out to the coop they go!

This. Other flock members will sample it, but only laying hens will eat much.

But their own eggshells alone aren't enough because they also need calcium to support their bones.

Back
Top Bottom