When to introduce a new Pyrenees to the pasture?

Mar 28, 2019
Parrish Florida
We have a two-year-old great Pyrenees in our pasture now, and he is wonderful. Today we got a new puppy who is 10 weeks old. I’m not sure when to let him stay outside with our other dog and our livestock. With our first pry (who we got at 12 weeks) the vet told us that he was too young to be put outside so we kept him in the house overnight, and let him out in the pasture during the day. I’m wondering if it’s different now since we already have our big guy out in pasture. We introduced the puppy today and of course our dog was a gentle giant as always and very good with the puppy. The puppy is just such a little guy and seems so small. I’m so nervous about leaving him outside. I do however want him to bond with our big guy and the livestock.
i’d love any advice on when he can stay outside in pasture with our other pry and the livestock.
Also, I should note that there is little danger of predators where we live. We keep our pasture lit up at night, and music playing through outdoor speakers. We’ve been here for years and haven’t had anything come even remotely close to our pasture. We’re surrounded by other properties that have electric fences that back up to ours as well.

Attachments

• A4F0A01B-0707-4DFF-9D77-1D990FF156C2.jpeg
    A4F0A01B-0707-4DFF-9D77-1D990FF156C2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • DDD0DAFB-563D-4A5A-AD70-5507D2E19738.jpeg
    DDD0DAFB-563D-4A5A-AD70-5507D2E19738.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
I love Pyrs with their good looks and great disposition! My only experience with one was a complete livestock guardian failure. She was 7 months old when I got her, and her previous family NEVER had her in with their goats and chickens. By the time I had her with my goats, she thought they were playmates.

Pearl enthusiastically chased the goats, and one of the goats -- who had no patience with anyone or anything -- would return the favor by goring Pearl, who became a too-big house dog.

I wonder why your vet thought a 12-week-old puppy was too young to go outside, especially since you have an older boy there already?

Hello,

The 12 week puppy (that vet felt could not be left outside) was the big boy we have now and he would have been out there alone. She felt he was too little to be out by himself. I am wondering when I might leave the new guy (10 weeks) out because he won't be alone now.

Sorry your Pry wasn't great with the goats. Our big boy killed a few chickens and ducks when he was young, but quickly grew out of that with training and I think just age.

When I had Pyrenees as long as we had an older dog in the pasture to put them with they went to the pasture. IMO there isnt a better way to train a pup than by letting it run with a older trained dog. I have done it with herding dogs, hunting dogs, livestock guard dogs, and tracking dogs.

Back
Top Bottom