When to switch feed?

Tchase88

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
So I have a flock of 15, of 14 pullets and one rooster. Right now they are 10 weeks old.

Right now they are finishing up their chick feed bag and the next bag I got is a grower/finisher crumble. Once they finish of the grower/finisher, am I able to switch them to the Purina flock raiser? Or is it still to early for that? Is it to early to add some of that into their food now?

I also plan on switching from crumble to pellet, I can not stand how the food is mostly a powder.

Any feedback is appreciated. I am a new first time chicken owner, so it’s all still a big unknown to me.

Purina's Flock Raiser is a grower/finisher. Switch any time. I use Nutrena's "All Flock". Essentially, the same thing, Flock Raiser when I can't get the All Flock pellets (personal preference - I've actually chosen the more expensive option...)

Remember to free choice oyster shell for your girls - the Growers, Flock Raisers, and All Flocks do not have the extra calcium of a "layer" feed. For most of us, that's a good thing (see sig). If you are sticking with all egg hens, you could be lazy and get layer feed, but if you plan on raising a next generation (as the rooster implies), I'd get in the Flock Raiser/All Flock plus free choice oyster habit now.

Purina's Flock Raiser is a grower/finisher. Switch any time. I use Nutrena's "All Flock". Essentially, the same thing, Flock Raiser when I can't get the All Flock pellets (personal preference - I've actually chosen the more expensive option...)

Remember to free choice oyster shell for your girls - the Growers, Flock Raisers, and All Flocks do not have the extra calcium of a "layer" feed. For most of us, that's a good thing (see sig). If you are sticking with all egg hens, you could be lazy and get layer feed, but if you plan on raising a next generation (as the rooster implies), I'd get in the Flock Raiser/All Flock plus free choice oyster habit now.
Thank you! I didn’t realize that it was a grower finisher food. I now know where I will be heading after work. Lol. Should I provide them with oyster now or wait till they get closer to laying?

Oyster as soon as convenient. The first few days, everyone will peck at it, maybe play with it, exploring the new "thing". After that, the ones that feel the need will take it when they do, and the rest will ignore it.

Same way we humans get "weird food cravings" because we are missing something in the diet? That's lizard brain activity - and chickens, well... Backyard dinosaurs.

Back
Top Bottom