When to switch feed?

kchapman81

Chirping
Apr 26, 2021
CT
I currently have 3 chickens, I got them all end of March beginning of April of this year as chicks. Two are silkies and one is a mystic onyx. They're currently on chick starter grower, when should I be switching them to layer? Should I wait until they're laying or do you switch to help start laying at their age range? One of my silkies I suspect my be a roo (just a guess but honestly have no idea) but they all get along fine and I don't have any behavioral issues so as of now he will be staying. If that one does turn out to be a rooster can he eat the same food? If not how do you keep them from eating the same food? Please help - a new chicken owner who just wants to make sure she's doing the best for her chickens. Thank you in advance!

I wouldn’t put them on layer feed ever, especially silkies who don’t lay tons of eggs. Instead, switch them (now is fine) to All Flock or Flock Raiser and when they are approximately 20 weeks put out oyster shell on the side, free choice. Layer feed forces too much calcium on them - and chickens know when they need the extra calcium and when they don’t. I just recently found out that you can feed All Flock or Flock Raiser from hatch - this makes integration so much easier if you ever decide to get chicks again bc everyone can stay on the same food. I have exclusively layers (sex linked production - high egg laying breeds) and they have never been on Layer Feed and I’ve never had an egg shell problem

I wouldn’t put them on layer feed ever, especially silkies who don’t lay tons of eggs. Instead, switch them (now is fine) to All Flock or Flock Raiser and when they are approximately 20 weeks put out oyster shell on the side, free choice. Layer feed forces too much calcium on them - and chickens know when they need the extra calcium and when they don’t. I just recently found out that you can feed All Flock or Flock Raiser from hatch - this makes integration so much easier if you ever decide to get chicks again bc everyone can stay on the same food. I have exclusively layers (sex linked production - high egg laying breeds) and they have never been on Layer Feed and I’ve never had an egg shell problem
Wow thank you so much!! I had no idea about the all flock! I've only ever had all female ducks so chickens (and especially the potential rooster) are new to me. Will definitely look into the All Flock! You just alleviated quite a bit of stress for me, thank you! :)

Wow thank you so much!! I had no idea about the all flock! I've only ever had all female ducks so chickens (and especially the potential rooster) are new to me. Will definitely look into the All Flock! You just alleviated quite a bit of stress for me, thank you! :)
You’re welcome! If you still have the ducks or ever plan to get any other kind of fowl, the All Flock is perfect! Roosters also can’t have layer feed since they don’t lay eggs anc can develop terrible kidney issues - so since I have multiple roosters and chickens of all ages (everyone right now ranges from 3 weeks to 4 years old) - it’s so easy with everyone eating the same thing!

Never. All Flock and Free Choice oyster shell, for when they eventually need extra calcium is the way to go.

Like @Aapomp831 I've a mixed age, gender, breed flock (including ducks!) - All Flock meets all the needs w/o doing any damage, while the free choice oyster lets my layers, when they are laying, take as much (or as little) supplemental calcium as they desire, without forcing it on those the extra calcium would damage.

For the typical backyard owner, its the low stress option - and likely only adds $1.50 to $2 per 50# bag to your feed bill, while the extra protein (compared to layer) will benefit your flock in myriad ways - better weight gain in your chicks (compare the label nutrition to starter/grower and then layer), and easier molts on your adults, as well as better meeting the dietary needs of your ducks if you should add them back in, and any cockerels/drakes you might choose to have.

I also have 3 pullets around the same age, 17-weeks today. ( two golden comets and an easter egger or black sex link). I still have a about 1/2 a bag of Nature's Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower Crumbles, 40 lb. Am I good to just add oyster shell on the side and finish off the bag of food I have ... or should I switch to something else as soon as one starts laying?

Thank you.
My Golden Comets started to lay at 16.5 weeks, all were laying by 19 weeks.
Put out a container of Oyster Shells now.
20201126_051320.jpg

When you have about a weeks worth of Starter-grower feed left switch to a Layers feed and mix 50/50 till the Starter-grower feed is gone or stick with the Starter-grower feed with Oyster Shells separately if egg shell quality is good.
If you switch to a Layers feed that's less than 18% Protein limit treats like Scratch Grains to 1 Tbsp each daily or no Scratch.
My Golden Comets started to feather pick when I switched to a Layers feed 16%. GC

Back
Top Bottom