When will my hens trust my cockerel

I’ve never hatched eggs in an incubator so I wanted to hatch some of my own eggs first before buying them online. I’ll try to get a picture of her egg when it’s cracked! Thanks for the advice!🙂🐔🐥🐣
Good luck. I like hatching my own chicks. When my rooster died a couple weeks ago, we hurried up and filled the incubator. I wanted to make sure I had a backup rooster with his genetics. He was the one in my profile picture.

From my own observations of my own flock.

He needs time to understand the flocks pecking order and challenge the hens that won't submit to him.

Generally when he's about a year old he'll have the flock under him and be in charge of all the hens. At that age they seem very calm and in control.

That's what I figured. I guess I was looking for reassurance that they'll settle down. My flock was completely peaceful and under control with my old rooster, so it's odd to see all the bickering now that he's gone. Considering my rooster died, my alpha hen was one of the sick, the hens going through their 18 month molt, and a horny cockerel, I should expect things to be a little chaotic. :lol:
And this is exactly why I believe people should not allow a rooster or cockerel to dominate and abuse an alpha hen, but he should work should convince her he is worthy - lead roos die more often than we expect, and an alpha hen can help keep the flock steady and secure till a suitable new rooster can be found.
Sorry you lost your lead Roo.

From my own observations of my own flock.

He needs time to understand the flocks pecking order and challenge the hens that won't submit to him.

Generally when he's about a year old he'll have the flock under him and be in charge of all the hens. At that age they seem very calm and in control.
Time to WIN the hens that won't submit to a young unproven bird. A good rooster doesn't need to challenge, he earns trust with age and good care of the flock. It's his only job.

And this is exactly why I believe people should not allow a rooster or cockerel to dominate and abuse an alpha hen, but he should work should convince her he is worthy - lead roos die more often than we expect, and an alpha hen can help keep the flock steady and secure till a suitable new rooster can be found.
Sorry you lost your lead Roo.
Thanks. My cockerel has been doing great the last couple weeks. He doesn't force mating, instead waiting for the hens to squat, and hopping on. He's already converted the pullets and two of the older hens. Several don't run away ,and the two that are still skittish around him are in the middle of a hard molt, so it's to be expected. A little maturity and he'll be better than his daddy.

Back
Top Bottom