When will the Guinea fowl be strong enough to use horizontal nipple waterers?

ChickenMaman

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
OK. I have 23 three day old, guinea fowl kids. They are growing nicely in their brooder and drinking from a drown proof chick waterer with marbles in it. When they get older, I’m gonna graduate them to the trough, the water trough that hangs outside their Brooder.

Before they are released from the brooder and into the coop where the brooder is located at six weeks old, I need to get them used to these horizontal nipple waterers. In Vermont. It gets very cold and this is the heated water that I have been able to get for them. My Chickens learned how to use it in two days. I am thinking that the guinea fowl will take longer. But my question is if anyone has used the Premier 1 nipple water with guinea Keets, at what age with a strong enough to actually hit and move the nipples. I know that the hanging nipples are easier but I’m not able to make a heated hanging nipple water and I already have the two buckets with the horizontal nipples in them.

I also have a very small chick waterer with a horizontal nipple in it, that I will be placing in their brooder when they’re strong enough and allow them to practice on before reaching the big waterer.

I switched mine over at four weeks (because that's when I got around to building the nipple waterer) I set it up and tapped the nipples for a while in front of them. The noise and shiny texture attracted them straight away and they started using it right away. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom