Where do you free range turkeys sleep?

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
I’ve got one white breasted turkey that has access to the chicken coop (10x10) which is also in the pasture with my donkeys. I cannot get the turkey to sleep in the coop. She insists on sleeping on the large round hay bale that is wrapped in a hay net. I’m afraid that one day she will get her foot caught in the hay net so I was going to try and build her something that she will sleep on. Prior to the hay bale she was jumping on my rain barrel causing the lid to cave in and I had to remove it for fear of her falling in and drowning. Just curious where yours sleep.

I’ve got one white breasted turkey that has access to the chicken coop (10x10) which is also in the pasture with my donkeys. I cannot get the turkey to sleep in the coop. She insists on sleeping on the large round hay bale that is wrapped in a hay net. I’m afraid that one day she will get her foot caught in the hay net so I was going to try and build her something that she will sleep on. Prior to the hay bale she was jumping on my rain barrel causing the lid to cave in and I had to remove it for fear of her falling in and drowning. Just curious where yours sleep.
I am guessing that you mean you have a Broad Breasted White turkey since there is no such thing as a White Breasted turkey.

My turkeys sleep outside on 4" diameter corral poles that are 6' off of the ground but my turkeys are heritage turkeys. You don't want a broad breasted turkey more than a foot or two off of the ground.

Give her a bale of straw or hay to roost on but get one without the netting or remove the netting from the bale that you have.

Mine are heritage females - a Bourbon Red and a Narragansett. They sleep in the little house I made for them, although they would prefer to roost on our deck railing.

I am guessing that you mean you have a Broad Breasted White turkey since there is no such thing as a White Breasted turkey.

My turkeys sleep outside on 4" diameter corral poles that are 6' off of the ground but my turkeys are heritage turkeys. You don't want a broad breasted turkey more than a foot or two off of the ground.

Give her a bale of straw or hay to roost on but get one without the netting or remove the netting from the bale that you have.
Lol! Yes I meant broad breasted. I don’t know why I put white breasted.

Back
Top Bottom