Where to buy CX chicks?

That's better than anything I could find. Reading through that there are 230 "hatcheries" in the US with an average jobs retained of 12. I'm not sure what constitutes a "hatchery" for that program or what else might be under their umbrella in business but Privett claimed 83 jobs retained.

I found Ideal Hatchery and they claimed 11 jobs retained. I know Ideal keeps at least some of their own flocks, probably most if not all of them. Some hatcheries subcontract out hatching eggs and some drop-ship (get their chicks from other hatcheries like MyPetChicken does). All kinds of business models. I consider Ideal one of the major hatcheries we buy from on this forum and they only claim 11. Wouldn't you love a guided tour of Privett's facilities if they have 83?

@Hamster0425 I apologize for the hijack. I should not have but this really got my interest.

That's better than anything I could find. Reading through that there are 230 "hatcheries" in the US with an average jobs retained of 12. I'm not sure what constitutes a "hatchery" for that program or what else might be under their umbrella in business but Privett claimed 83 jobs retained.

I found Ideal Hatchery and they claimed 11 jobs retained. I know Ideal keeps at least some of their own flocks, probably most if not all of them. Some hatcheries subcontract out hatching eggs and some drop-ship (get their chicks from other hatcheries like MyPetChicken does). All kinds of business models. I consider Ideal one of the major hatcheries we buy from on this forum and they only claim 11. Wouldn't you love a guided tour of Privett's facilities if they have 83?

@Hamster0425 I apologize for the hijack. I should not have but this really got my interest.

Pictures make their facility look like a shipping warehouse. Not small, but inadequate ventilation to be anything other than a reseller, assuming google maps to be accurate. Based on those same barren photos, i would not want to try abd raise poultry commercially anywhere nearby.

Subsequent research suggests that's the main ofice and shipping hub. Privett was the source of the Salmonella outbreak in 2013, which sickened a couple hundred people. It was traced to one of their duck pens. One of the things they did in response was new decontamination procedures for all eggs entering the hatchery. So they don't seem to breed their own. Right after a big outbreak of salmonella at the peanut processing facility in toqn which shut them down for six months. Looks like two of he town's larger employers.

Greenfire Farms here in Fl (small, poorly reviewed, reported unreliable) got a $ 45k loan, for comparison, but seem to raise their own birds. North of me, there are other poultry ops in AL which recieved very large loans, but i've driven by some of those operations - mostly shuttered, huge quonset huts with monster fans at the end.

Last edited:
No worries on the thread hijack! It's interesting to compare different business models.

I think I'm going with the local option. I can pick up or just a 1 day shipping, and it's under $2 a bird. I can even pick up food from there if I want that's comparable to our neighborhood feed store option but at a cheaper price.

No worries on the thread hijack! It's interesting to compare different business models.

I think I'm going with the local option. I can pick up or just a 1 day shipping, and it's under $2 a bird. I can even pick up food from there if I want that's comparable to our neighborhood feed store option but at a cheaper price.

So what did you decide on getting?

I'm doing some research on which hatchery to buy from.

I may be a bit biased since I've only ever done business with Cackle Hatchery and have only experienced good things, so my mentality is if it's not broken, don't fix it.

So I kinda wanna stick to them at least to try their Jumbo CX for the first time and then go from there.

Jenks is my local option, so I'm going with them. There were plenty of good reviews for the CX, they're a good price and I like supporting local if I can.

We ordered our pullets from Cackle this summer and had a good experience.

Ohhh supporting local businesses is awesome. Thank you for getting back to me!

Interesting that Privett is one of the three hatcheries used by Tractor Supply, at least the last time I checked. If they are supplying chicks for TSC and Wilco and for online order how many chicks do they hatch?

Privett hatches a lot of chicks! Our local feed (Carolina Town and Country feed & Supply) store gets different breeds - as many as 6 differnt breeds at a time - every week from Privett. This year, for the first time that I'm aware of, they didn't stop getting chicks yet (in years previous, didn't have chicks in NOV, DEC or Jan). Not sure if they will be getting them in Jan/Feb or not yet. They don't generally order in meat birds, but have told me I can order them thru them.

Each TSC here in our area (I can get to 6 different ones in a 50 mile radius) get their chicks from different hatcheries and some don't get special birds or meat birds. Most times, the managers' at our TSCs won't tell you which hatchery their birds come from and most employees know very little about the birds at all, in my experience.

I have not seen chicks advertised at all at other feed stores or feed mills in our area.

Back
Top Bottom