Which breed based on egg color??

sfh714

Hatching
Aug 6, 2023
Please help me figure out which one of my chickens laid this egg? I have Easter eggers, buff brahmas, isa browns, cuckoo maran and Swedish flower hens I think these are from my Swedish flower? What does everyone think? I’m torn between the brahmas and Swedish flower!

Thank you!

Attachments

• CAF54C20-3FCB-4E87-9A8F-839D97B347BE.jpeg
    CAF54C20-3FCB-4E87-9A8F-839D97B347BE.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 55
We have the same issue between our silkies and silkie/bantam cochins so I got a postal scale and weighed them, so I would hopefully only hatch the silkie eggs. The silkie eggs weigh between 1.2 and 1.5 oz, so when I'd get one 1.6 or 1.7, those I knew were a mix. Your brahma eggs may tend to be slightly larger. I have found in doing this weighing for a while, I still could never just guess as appearances are deceiving.

Egg colors can differ even from where the chickens came from per this site which compares eggs from breeds from various hatcheries, and also from what they are fed. Maybe someone who has them can help more though.

https://silverhomestead.com/chicken-egg-colors-by-breed/

Please help me figure out which one of my chickens laid this egg? I have Easter eggers, buff brahmas, isa browns, cuckoo maran and Swedish flower hens I think these are from my Swedish flower? What does everyone think? I’m torn between the brahmas and Swedish flower!

Thank you!
EE lay colored eggs. Cuckoo marans lay dark eggs. Brahma eggs can vary in shade, but tend to be brown, as are ISA. Not sure how much variation they have. I'm thinking that's your sunflower. But Debbie gave you some good info

Back
Top Bottom