Which breed?

Devorah

Songster
Feb 28, 2022
Leyden, Massachusetts
I live in a rural area in Massachusetts, and am looking to acquire 6-12 chicks who are good egg layers, winter hardy, docile, friendly, foragers and smart. This is my first time ever raising chickens! I’m a total newbie. Questions:
  • Based on the above, which chickens should I be considering?
  • Is it better to get one breed (better to go simple?) or can I mix two? If two, which breeds would get along well?
  • I would also like a rooster. Which breed should I be considering? Should it be the same breed as the chicks? When do I get a rooster - as a chick or pullet?
  • What do folks know about Barred Rock and Sussex? They interest me…
Thank you!

I might suggest Orpingtons if you want cold-hardy, especially if you eventually want to hatch chicks from your eggs. They are very good moms and will usually go broody. Plymouth Rock, Sussex, Australorp, & New Hampshire would be good choices for sure! You could get a few of each, if they are raised together they should get along.

I might suggest Orpingtons if you want cold-hardy, especially if you eventually want to hatch chicks from your eggs. They are very good moms and will usually go broody. Plymouth Rock, Sussex, Australorp, & New Hampshire would be good choices for sure! You could get a few of each, if they are raised together they should get along.
Thank you! I was just reading about Austrolorps!

For Foraging and temperment good winter layers I would lean towards - Buckeye
Eggs - Rhode Island, Astralorp, or Barred Rock
Looks, and temperment - Silver Laced Whyandotte
I have never had Sussex

" You could get a few of each"
I like getting a bunch that all look the same, it is easier to eat them when they stop laying. Don't get any of the nice ones that stand out in the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom