Which broody coop to go inside run?

dehill

Chirping
Dec 18, 2021
One of my girls (black silkie) is sittting on 6 fertilised eggs in the nest box of my raised coop. Last time we raised chicks it wasn’t a problem as I only had 2 mature birds and both were broody - they did a lovely job of mixed parenting.

Now I have 3 non-broody adolescents sharing the coop so as soon as the eggs hatch I suspect I’d better move the chicks and Mum to a broody coop. I’m worried about chicks on the ramp up to our raised coop and the other chickens not integrating well with them. You’ll see from the picture below that we have a largish run to put it in, my query is about good designs.

1646392506967.jpeg

My first thought is a small rabbit hutch with mesh run added, lockable at night with a tiny ramp. To be cited inside the larger run. Something like this:

1646392330539.jpeg

Or perhaps a triangular hutch with built in run, but I’d need to amend it to include a closable door:

1646392424516.png

How much space are they likely to need? Are these good solutions? Thoughts welcome.

I always separate my broodies from the flock at hatch time just to avoid drama. I always have more than one broody at a time and they will fight over chicks and have actually harmed one before. I think separating or not separating are both ok.

For a couple of weeks any of those solutions would work, but I would avoid the ramp because chicks are easily confused. You could cut the legs off of that one and make it easier for them. Even something as simple as a used cupboard from the Habitat Restore would work. Cut some ventilation holes and cover them with hardware cloth and add a door latch and you’re in business. Just be sure to open the coop ASAP in the morning, it will be too small for anything but sleeping.

After a couple weeks I would move her and the chicks back with the flock because they will be too big for the broody coop and they will be good at following mama around by then.

If you watch the English Country Life channel on YouTube you can get a bunch of ideas about what to look for in a broody coop. They keep their families separate for many weeks though, so it depends on how long you want to do that.
How to choose a brood coop

I always separate my broodies from the flock at hatch time just to avoid drama. I always have more than one broody at a time and they will fight over chicks and have actually harmed one before. I think separating or not separating are both ok.

For a couple of weeks any of those solutions would work, but I would avoid the ramp because chicks are easily confused. You could cut the legs off of that one and make it easier for them. Even something as simple as a used cupboard from the Habitat Restore would work. Cut some ventilation holes and cover them with hardware cloth and add a door latch and you’re in business. Just be sure to open the coop ASAP in the morning, it will be too small for anything but sleeping.

After a couple weeks I would move her and the chicks back with the flock because they will be too big for the broody coop and they will be good at following mama around by then.

If you watch the English Country Life channel on YouTube you can get a bunch of ideas about what to look for in a broody coop. They keep their families separate for many weeks though, so it depends on how long you want to do that.
How to choose a brood coop
I liked the video. British can be more sensible.

I've never removed a broody hen from the flock to raise her chicks. She raises them within the flock. She'll take them where she is comfortable and drive off whomever she doesn't want near her chicks.
this is what I am planning on doing. but I do have a ramp is that going to be a problem for the chicks? I can get a picture of the ramp is needed but my coop is raised up 2'

Back
Top Bottom