Which double wall waterer is the best?

Wise Woman

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 12, 2011
My Cottage
I am wanting to purchase a double wall water fount for my chickens, however, after doing a lot of searching on here, it seems that a lot of people have problems with them not sealing properly. I am wondering if this is a problem with a specific brand or this style of waterer in particular. Is there any one brand that works better than another? I am getting tired of trying to find a watering solution that works well for us. I thought it would be nice as I could put a heater under it for winter as well. Any suggestions on a good, reliable brand that works? Thanks.

I don't know the brand of mine, but I think folks may not be doing them right. After filling them you need to lock the top on than lift the waterer off the ground to form a suction. Keep them mostly level and mine never leaked. They eventually corrode, and need replacing. I'm not sure if that's the trick or not, mine don't leak.

I am getting tired of trying to find a watering solution that works well for us.

Have you tried the horizontal nipples? I use a 5 gallon bucket with them and a stock tank deicer in the winter. Our son uses the same set up in southeastern PA and has no problems in the winter.

I am using horizontal nipples now, however, they have started leaking. I can't seem to figure out why. Most just slightly drip but one of them drips so fast that it just about empties out the waterer every day. That is why I thought I would switch. Plus some of the girls don't seem to prefer the nipples. They seem to drink more when I put a pan of water out. So not sure what to do. I do not want to go back to those horrible plastic waterers that you have to fill and then flip over.

I water with pans and buckets. I don't understand the whole nipple thing and they wouldn't work here in winter. In winter I use rubber buckets and pans. More labor intensive probably but as you said birds prefer drinking out of them.

Well I started using the nipples because I was tired of cleaning those plastic waterers all the time. The container I use has a lid and it keeps the water really nice and clean and very little algae grows in it because it is solid colored. So I thought I would be easier for me. I have one of those rubber pans that I set inside a small old tire and they are quite happy with that. Maybe I should just go low tech and be done with it. LOL!!!

You could try vertical nipples or cups. If your horizontals are leaking they probably have too much pressure on them or aren’t screwed in well enough.

Back
Top Bottom