Which ones are guinea eggs????

lazytrucker

Songster
6 Years
Aug 3, 2015
Texas Panhandle
I've been walking around our pasture for weeks looking for guinea eggs and hadn't found any. I started getting some in our chicken nest boxes that I thought might be guinea eggs but I wasn't totally convinced. I had been eating some that I thought the yolk was way bigger than chicken eggs and that's what I had been saving. Then today I found one that I'm positive is a guinea egg.

Of the four in the picture I know I have one guinea and one chicken egg. I suspect the one on the measuring tape at the beginning is a guinea egg. The one at inch 3 I'm positive is. The one below the small guinea egg I'm sure is a chicken egg. I really think the one to the left of it is as well. I'd love a 2nd opinion since I'd go to a lot of effort to incubate if I knew they were guinea eggs.
IMG_20200423_1716395.jpg
IMG_20200423_1716395.jpg
IMG_20200423_1715523.jpg

I've been walking around our pasture for weeks looking for guinea eggs and hadn't found any. I started getting some in our chicken nest boxes that I thought might be guinea eggs but I wasn't totally convinced. I had been eating some that I thought the yolk was way bigger than chicken eggs and that's what I had been saving. Then today I found one that I'm positive is a guinea egg.

Of the four in the picture I know I have one guinea and one chicken egg. I suspect the one on the measuring tape at the beginning is a guinea egg. The one at inch 3 I'm positive is. The one below the small guinea egg I'm sure is a chicken egg. I really think the one to the left of it is as well. I'd love a 2nd opinion since I'd go to a lot of effort to incubate if I knew they were guinea eggs. View attachment 2104666View attachment 2104666View attachment 2104667
The lone guinea egg is the top right egg in the first photo.

If you have Jumbo aka French guineas, all but the top left are possible guinea eggs. If you don't have Jumbo guineas, I would say the top right is a guinea egg.
I started to wonder that as well... My youngest guineas still look quite a bit smaller than the others but I did crack a couple of the eggs and the shells don't seem very hard. I'm assuming even the larger guinea eggs would still be very hard?

I started to wonder that as well... My youngest guineas still look quite a bit smaller than the others but I did crack a couple of the eggs and the shells don't seem very hard. I'm assuming even the larger guinea eggs would still be very hard?
Yes, even the larger guinea eggs would be hard. Guinea hens that are not getting sufficient calcium can lay eggs that don't have that hard of a shell but the membrane is still tough The tougher membrane is typical of guinea eggs and not of chicken eggs.

Back
Top Bottom