Which roofing material is best for winter?

Becki78

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
I have slowly but surely been building and improving my coop over the past few months but can't make up my mind on which roofing material to use. It is 4'x6'. I don't really want to do shingles as they can be heavy and we plan on moving in a year and want to be able to easily transport it. I was thinking of using metal roofing sheets or would prefer a clear roofing sheet (not sure the proper name but is sold at Lowes next to metal roofing sheets) to allow light in during winter.

My concern is that the clear roofing material will not help retain heat during winter. Note there will 6" of mesh screening for air flow on one side of the roof for ventilation. We live in north Texas above Dallas and winters can vary greatly year to year. Most of the time we have only 2-3 days of snow but many nights are in the low 30's.

Is metal better than clear plastic? Again we would like to let as much light in as possible as our backyard is mostly shaded from trees.

I used the clear got it at home depot was thinking about the metal but the clear is a lot easier to work with ju cut it with a pair of snips i'm happy with it doesn't leak at all lets the sunshine in but keeps the heat out, unless the roof is air tight it will loose the heat, I used it on the run.

The clear panels are called polycarbonate roofing panels and are made for sun rooms and greenhouses. They hold heat just as well, if not better that metal roofing material. - My only concern with using polycarbonate panels on the coop would be it getting to warm and possibly causing moisture build up. If you were to use them I think you would have to shade the roof out in the summer months to stop the sun light from entering through the roof and heating the coop and in the winter I would keep a very close eye on any condensation.

They are very easy to work with and are very durable. Make sure to follow manufactures directions on cutting and applying the panles. Also, be sure to pre-grill the panels before screwing them in.

the clear roofing lets in light and warms up nicely in winter; in summer i cover it w/ a tarp as neccessary to reduce heating. Easier to break; metal can slice your leg or arm if you hit it just right or hard-- i have a 6 inch scar on my leg.

I would go w/ plasstic and replace as nessesary.

Quote: NO roofing material is going to retain any heat.
That's what insulation is for.

Clear may cause EXCESS heat in warmer months if the Sun shines through it.

Your birds don't really need extra sunlight in the coop since they tend to be outside in daylight anyway, and most coops have enough openings to allow sufficient light

Also, clear PLASTIC roofing won't hold up nearly as long as metal, and is more likely to be damaged in storms

Wow thanks for all the good advice! I think I am leaning towards metal now. Any suggestions on how to protect the sides so no one gets cut?

Back
Top Bottom