Which rooster should I keep?

Kare Kare

Hatching
Dec 24, 2015
In 2014, we ordered 9 females and 1 male chicken. What we ended up with were 7 hens and 3 roosters. We got rid of 2 roosters that fall.
The hens are silver laced Wyandot, golden laced Wyandot and black astrolopes. The rooster that we kept was supposed to be a white Plymouth rock but we think he was a leghorn. He turned into a very aggressive rooster during the winter time.
We had a hen become broody before we got rid of the rooster this spring. 3 chicks survived, 2 roosters and 1 hen.
One rooster is a white laced Wyandot combo (black and white) and seems to be the alpha male.
The other rooster seems to be a golden laced Wyandot combo. He has very pretty coloring. He and the new hen seem to be loners together while the black and white rooster stays with the other hens.
We can't keep both roosters as it is stressing out the hens with both their mating attempts. Both roosters seem to respect us right now and are a bit skittish around us.
We would love to keep the prettier of the two roosters but are wondering if that would that be a mistake. Will the pretty rooster become aggressive like his father once we take away the alpha male?
Any suggestions on what to do?

Welcome! Your cockrels have been polite so far, and that's great. One will be a better fit in your small flock, and it may be too soon to be sure about behavior. Keeping both for a while longer makes sense IF the hens and the pullet aren't being overly stressed. If that's the case, either separate both boys from the girls, or alternate the cockrels so only one is out with them at a time, or keep the one you like best. I have also had cockrels turn into jerks as they matured the following spring, so only time will tell. Do you push them a little; walk through them, pick up hens, etc, and are they both good about that? Subtle behaviors now may get worse as they grow up. Mary

I agree with Mary. I'd let them interact with the hens one at a time. That way you can assess each cockrel's behavior independent of the other. Choose the one with the best manners. If they are both equally well behaved, and they each have a tolerable crow (I have one cockrel who sounds like a squeaky door hinge. I'll cull him for that one reason, though there are other reasons why he must go!) If they are both gentlemen with the ladies, and if they are respectful of people, choose the one with the best body conformation and who is most pleasing to the eye.

Roosters have to be pretty and well-behaved to stay in my flock! My vote would be keep the pretty one and if he develops bad behavior later then he can go.

Folly and LG have given good advise.

Keep in mind that both these cockerels came from an aggressive sire...aggression can often be hereditary.

Back
Top Bottom