Which rooster to cull?

It's just hard, and sometimes the wrong ones are chosen, sadly. Good advice already!
Any that have physical faults need to go, and any that are thinking about becoming human aggressive. Then, what are your breeding goals? Any that just don't appeal to you, for any reason?
I do like to keep two, at least, as long as possible, so there's still a rooster if one dies or decides to get nasty.
I still have a couple of extra cockerels, too nice to eat, that need to move on elsewhere. It's an annual dilemma here too!
Mary

Culling is always the hardest thing for us. Especially for roosters since non games don't generally sell well, at least before COVID. I still have no idea why COVID made roosters worth so much all of a sudden. Anyways, it all comes down to what your looking for as an end goal. If you are going for some breed standard then that should be your end goal. Same for your projects or experiments. You are going to make mistakes no matter what your trying to do, but when you make decisions try not to let feeling sorry for something come into play. Like some of the others have said, a lower ranking bird can turn into a complete savage once they are on top. Out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to do with your birds?

A
I'm just raising them for eggs and meat. So no need to be particular as to breeding, except for personality, really.
Ah, then pick your favorite. A fella that is good to the ladies will keep stress down and the eggs flowing. Since you don't have any strong priorities then just pick your favorites. If it is a mistake then at least its not detrimental to what your doing, and you might learn something.

Back
Top Bottom