1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Which waterer is better? Nipples or cups?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cwelte, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Cups

37.8%
  2. Nipples - horizontal

36.5%
  3. Nipples - vertical

25.7%
  1. cwelte

cwelte Chirping

Apr 23, 2018
    Central VA
    I'm an avid DIYer and am building my first coop for our 6 hens (god, I hope they all turn out to be hens!). Coop size is 48"x48"x48", 36" off the ground.

I know that I don't want a "traditional" waterer because in taking care of others birds, I've seen how messy these can be. I also know that having a dry coop is more than preferred.

I'm considering building a system with 4" PVC that would be a simple "L" shape. I'd like to use a bird bath heater in the winter months to keep it from freezing. (I have a tendency to over-engineer these contraptions, but that's 1/2 the fun, right?? :p)

So my question is this? Which is better at keeping the birds hydrated and keeping your coop driest?

Cups or Nipples (if nipples, horizontal or vertical?)

(At this stage, I'm also not worried about training them. I've heard that a laser pointer is ideal for that - keeping it out of their eye, of course!)

Thanks for the advice!

2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    i personally perfer the classic waterers, but cups would be my second choice. nipples can end up dehiderating your birds.

3. GardenTillers44

GardenTillers44 Songster

Nov 26, 2016
    Hocking Hills, Ohio
    The classic 1-2 gallon reservoir waterers work for us. I know the chickens are getting all they need that way, and they don't knock them over. We have a heated version that we use in the winter. I have had trouble with nipples in the past leaking and freezing, and I'm not convinced all the chickens get what they need from them. Not a big fan of unsecured cups either since the chickens have a habit of knocking them over and making a mess. If you do cups, secure them if possible.

cwelte and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  4. cwelte

cwelte Chirping

Apr 23, 2018
    Central VA
    Thanks for the input - I've been reading more and more each day about waterers and it's like noses, everyone has one and they're all different/similar in many ways.

I think I'm not sold on the nipples, but I would like to try the cups. I may even do both (a traditional waterer and the cups) and see what they all prefer.

5. Ohmyheart

Ohmyheart Songster

Mar 27, 2017
    North Little Rock, AR
    I use the cups. I did something like this.

[​IMG]

6. cwelte

cwelte Chirping

Apr 23, 2018
    Central VA
    I like that - I have a bunch of old brewing pails that I could use in this application. Good enough for beer, good enough for chicken water!

What's it sitting on, is that a 4x4 post?

7. Ohmyheart

Ohmyheart Songster

Mar 27, 2017
    North Little Rock, AR
    I'm not sure what it's sitting on. I made mine on the outside of my run easier to fill. I only have the white PVC and cups on the inside. Mine sits on cement blocks.

ButtonquailGirl14 and cwelte like this.
  8. SueT

SueT Crowing

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I use vertical nipples for all my chickens and have for the past year. We made nipple buckets, nipple bottles for chicks, and they all get plenty of water, there are no leaks, water is 100% clean and never needs changing.
    bottles (3 of 1).jpg

9. Mckennas poultry

Mckennas poultry Songster

Apr 24, 2018
    Chickens don’t drink out of nipples in the wild, do they ?
    The natural way is always the best way, so I say CUPS

10. Ohmyheart

Ohmyheart Songster

Mar 27, 2017
    North Little Rock, AR
    Well the nipple would mimic water dripping off plants and leaves. So it's not like it's unnatural.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: