White crested duck vanished and returned the days later

IowaDuckMama

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2021
Madrid, Iowa
I have 3 ducks, 2 runners and a white crested. I let them free range during the day, and they usually don't leave the back yard and flower garden next to our deck.
My 6 month old white crested duck just vanished 3 days ago. We searched everywhere, calling for him, to which he usually answers and comes running. The runners were in their house, scared to death and refusing to come out. It took them a day and a half to finally come outside their run, and they were very skittish. We assumed that a hawk had taken him, and that he was gone forever.
This morning, as I was letting the runners out, he was standing there behind me when I turned around. He was a little dirty, but unharmed. I followed his tracks in the fresh snow, which led around the front of the shop, up the other side to the back, and ended in between some old tires and an old mower, where it looked like he had made a nest in the leaves.
Is there any way that a hawk could have taken him, then dropped him somewhere? Or could he possibly have escaped somehow, with no injuries?
I'm just trying to find an explanation for this. The three of them never wander off, and they always stick close together.
I appreciate any help in solving this mystery. Thanks!

I doubt a hawk would do that. Did you check it over for any puncture wounds?
I'm thinking there was some kind of predator pressure and the ducks ran to the safety of their coop and the crested ran the other way. Luckily it made it's way back.
I'd keep them locked up to make sure there's no predator lurking.

So glad he's ok and back in your coop with his friends.

I have a white crested Pekin drake -- a rescue -- and I'd be worried sick, like you, if he disappeared. They are unlikely to have any useful flight, and so running and hiding is the best they can do.

(My mean muscovy drake, in contrast, has already flown over the side gate. He waited to be let back inside. But if a predictor had come, he has enough flight to get up on the shed, for example)

Back
Top Bottom