White Leghorns

gootziecat

Crowing
16 Years
Nov 27, 2007
Dover TN
Where is the best place to get the least flighty strain of white Leghorns? Some strains are worse than others. Anyone with experience? Thank you.

I've had several strains of White Leghorns from different hatcheries and I doubt there is such a thing as a non-flighty Leghorn (they usually cried bloody murder whenever I handled them). However, I did have one batch of Whites from Dunlap Hatchery in Caldwell, ID, that seemed a little calmer (understand that this is relative statement) than the others I've had. Dunlap is a smaller hatchery than some of the mega-hatcheries, but I have ordered chicks from them on several occasions and have been very happy with their service and birds. The folks at Dunlap are very friendly and helpful and good to answer questions and I've never lost a chick from Dunlap in shipping (this is the only hatchery from which I've ordered that this is the case). Dunlap uses both Dekab White and Bovans White for their White Leghorn breeding stock and you can contact them at https://www.dunlaphatchery.net/default.aspx If you are not opposed to hybrids, Dunlap is also the original breeder of Austra Whites (Black Australorp x White Leghorn) which are excellent layers of white eggs, but are calmer and less flighty than White Leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom