"White" Peachicks Getting Color?

Hannah15

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2014
I have a pair of opal white eyed pea's with an extra purple split to pied cock (as in, he carries one pied gene and no white gene, his father was dark pied) penned together. I got one loud or silver pied chick that is either India blue or purple. This isn't that surprising, apparently one or both of the opals are split to white. They do have a lot of white on them (throat, lots of flight feathers). I also have a solid purple (obviously male) chick. Also not surprising.

Their other two chicks are throwing me though. They hatched solid white. All of the feathers were white. But now, at 2 and 3 weeks old, they are getting some color. One only has a small amount, just some pale grey in the tail and on part of one wing. The other has the same pale grey in it's tail, and it almost looks like one whole wing is close to black shoulder color, while the other is solid white. I suppose it is possible that the parents are split to black shoulder, that chick could be black shoulder pied? I've never really been interested in whites before, so I've never had them. Is a small amount of colored feathers normal?

I will try to get pictures posted very soon. Thanks.

Oddly, when I opened the window and let natural light in, I couldn't even identify which chick had the wing that I thought looked black shoulder "yellow". Also, note that they are kind of dirty. I assume they have been underneath other roosting chicks at times. :rolleyes:

3109311451834996333.jpg
4488965812589421872.jpg
4553419006316382399.jpg
6513367401882161146.jpg
316733294264286414.jpg
786257693699701667.jpg
3058383934458159516.jpg

Okay. Thanks! Should they have had color when they hatched? I figured I would see a dot or something, and I did look since I got the other pied chick. Maybe they are opal silver pieds, since those chicks are so much lighter? I have no particular reason to believe the parents are split black shoulder, but no reason to believe they couldn't be either. I planned on selling the chicks, but I would feel dishonest if I wasn't able to tell a buyer what color they are. I will say, this pen is much more fun than I expected it to be. :)

I just want to point out (and maybe I misunderstood) that you cannot get pied from split white birds. You would just get white and IB if they were IB split white. Pied is a pattern and they have to be split to it to get it.

I said that I assumed that they were split white. I have no idea what they carry other than the obvious opal and white eye. (And the purple male obviously carries purple and one pied gene.) But, regardless, if the purple is father, he IS split pied, which could provide the pied gene that they would need to show pied (though I question that, since he is not white eyed). It is certainly possible that one of the opals carries pied instead of white as well. I tried to go back and look at pictures of the parents, but unfortunately, the pictures didn't still work.

Actually, now that I think of it, since the pied chick that is obviously the purple male's chick is pied, that chick MUST have gotten the pied gene from the purple, and therefore MUST have gotten the white gene from the opal hen. So she is clearly split white. But the opal cock could be split pied for all I know.

Back
Top Bottom