White peahen pulling out feathers

Oct 29, 2022
Hello,

There is a beautiful white peahen that has roamed my neighborhood for years. I often give it feed and have noticed lately she is plucking out her feathers a lot. There are translucent looking scales as well. I am worried as winter is coming and I wonder if this is normal or if she may be sick?
She is not my bird and not tame enough to catch so not sure what I can do other than provide food and safety.

She is probably ate up with lice or feather mites. If she will take treats from you or if you can leave them out where she can find them you could give her some Ivermec on scrambled eggs.
Do I get that at a feed store or a vet. Sorry .. not something I am super familiar with but would like to try and help her. She’s amazing!!

Do I get that at a feed store or a vet. Sorry .. not something I am super familiar with but would like to try and help her. She’s amazing!!
There are two different types, injectable and pour-on. You would have to catch her for the pour-on so get the injectable for oral use. You can get it at the farm stores, a mature hen would get about 0.5ml injected but about twice that if you are mixing it into food for oral consumption. They love scrambled eggs so make some up and then pour the ivermec over them and mix it up. It might even kill round and cecal worms, It would be a good idea to give it to her at least twice ten days apart.

There are two different types, injectable and pour-on. You would have to catch her for the pour-on so get the injectable for oral use. You can get it at the farm stores, a mature hen would get about 0.5ml injected but about twice that if you are mixing it into food for oral consumption. They love scrambled eggs so make some up and then pour the ivermec over them and mix it up. It might even kill round and cecal worms, It would be a good idea to give it to her at least twice ten days apart.
Thank you so much!! I will get some and give it a go. I am very appreciative of the help. I know the poor thing is uncomfortable.

Thank you so much!! I will get some and give it a go. I am very appreciative of the help. I know the poor thing is uncomfortable.
Hello

Sorry to bother you @KsKingBee … I am having a hard time finding an injectable ivermectin. I see this one for cattle and swine on Amazon. Would this work?

Attachments

• 0C732D36-6746-4A4B-B92B-E3E563CFD386.png
    0C732D36-6746-4A4B-B92B-E3E563CFD386.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom